What started as a revolutionary in 1876 by Francis Edgar Stanley, turned into a tool of fancy artwork, airbrush has developed leaps and bounds in almost 150 years of its inception, thanks to the continuous innovation of compressors. Airbrush compressor is the biggest compliment to the airbrush that creates a consistent level of compressed air into the airbrushes. Currently, there are ten of the airbrush compressors that are dominating the market, with each having its uniqueness that separates them from the rest individually. While all of them have their merits, its shortcomings will also be exposed, with the guide on how to overcome each of their drawbacks. Below is the elucidation of 16 best airbrush compressors.
Table of Contents
- 1 View the best Airbrush kit
- 1.1 Iwata Medea Studio Series Power Jet Pro Double Piston Air Compressor
- 1.2 Master Airbrush G22
- 1.3 PointZero Airbrush
- 1.4 Master Airbrush 1/4 HP Twin Piston Air Compressor
- 1.5 Zeny Pro 1/5 HP Airbrush Air Compressor
- 1.6 Pointzero 1/5 HP Airbrush Compressor
- 1.7 Vivohome 110-120V Professional Airbrushing Paint System
- 1.8 F2C TC-100 Dual Action Mini Air Compressor
- 1.9 Master Airbrush 1/4 HP Single Piston Air Compressor
- 1.10 master airbrush multi-purpose airbrushing system kit
- 1.11 Ophir 110v Pro Airbrush kit
- 1.12 Master Airbrush Model TC-848
- 1.13 Iwata-Medea Studio Series Smart Jet Single Piston Air Compressor
- 1.14 AW Pro 1/3 HP Twin-Cylinder Airbrush Compressor
- 1.15 Grex Air Compressor
- 1.16 Paasche Airbrush DC850R Compressor for Airbrush
- 1.17 Buying Guide
- 1.18 Frequently Asked Question:
- 1.18.1 1) What is it being used for?
- 1.18.2 2) Will it be noisy?
- 1.18.3 3) How to Connect Airbrush Hose to the Compressor?
- 1.18.4 4) How to Remove Moisture Trap on Airbrush Air Compressor?
- 1.18.5 5) How to add a Tank to an Airbrush Compressor?
- 1.18.6 6) What are the types of projects I will be undertaking with an air compressor?
- 1.18.7 7) What is my available power source?
- 1.19 Editor’s Pick
- 1.20 Video: Airbrush Basic you should know before using Must Watch
- 1.21 Conclusion
View the best Airbrush kit
Iwata Medea Studio Series Power Jet Pro Double Piston Air Compressor
Like the entire compressor, the Iwata IS 975 comes with instruction, Aztec adapters, and coiled air hoses. It has a sturdy case with a handle that is easy to carry. Weighing around 12 kilos, it is not the most ponderous tool to carry. It carries a two-liter tank with an almost 20 percent horsepower motor. The beauty of this compressor is that it has two quick connects, and the dual rigs. Having dual rigs is essential for the students where one can control the air pressure for their airbrush, where another one can set it to the desired PSI.
- Dual Moisture Traps: The beauty of this feature is that it makes Iwata Medea Studio Series Power Jet easily accessible to drain. As it has a drainage valve, the only instruction is to pull it out until the compressor gets full. For faster air drainage pulling the lever quickly will release all the pressure in the tank.
- Side Filters: Iwata IS975 also has filters on the side, quite indistinguishable with the water cleaning stations. Both sides have filters to offer equilibrium filtration. In short, it has twin air regulators.
- Capacity: The IS975 model is capable of storing around two liters of air storage, indicating that it has enough in the tank to store for long periods.
- Dual rigs: As air compressor is mostly consumed by students, this feature makes them work smarter. One has just to control the pressure where the other can set into their preferred PSI.
- It comes with numerous supporting devices to connect with the compressor.
- The air flows smoothly with the compressor.
- The size is low, which makes it very easy to carry.
Cons with Solutions
It comes with coil hoses, which is generally not user friendly, comparing to the class hoses. This problem, however, is quite marginal as IS975 gives both hoses. Therefore, the best course of action is connecting the coil hoses with DT110, and that way, there will be no chances of the hoses getting tangled, which can be a turn off in a lot of cases.
Master Airbrush G22
In short, the Master Airbrush G22 is considered to be a flagship air compressor among the most. It has features that offer better quality and longevity. As such machines are high priced, having features to use for many years is a blessing which this model offers. More indispensably, it’s the ideal compressing tool for the beginners. It has everything that a novice can learn despite being a beast that the professional would love to prefer.
- Dual Action Airbrush: It works with any paint one needs, and it spreads with even layers.
- G22 Airbrush: A premium airbrush that makes a smooth user experience. It’s really straightforward to use. The procedure is pretty simplistic, as it needs to be plugged into the master airbrush compressor, screw the air hose on, and ensure it is tied tightly; otherwise, the air will leak out, and won’t work.
- One-fifth of Horse Power: The G22 Deluxe Kit Compressor, comes with 1/5 horsepower with double cooling fans, that enhances longevity without getting overheated.
- 3-liter air storage: The 3-liter air storage stank gives maximum air pressure and no pulsation.
- Deluxe Airbrushing System: Having a 6-foot air hose that can be quickly connected and disconnected makes it easier to use.
- The Air compressor is not too loud, which is a fantastic forte.
- The G22 airbrush makes the users live very more relaxed.
- Higher air capacity.
- Multi-Purpose Use.
- Everything is well built and is made to last for long periods of time.
- This one is an excellent compressor for the beginners.
Cons with Solution
It doesn’t have all the features advertised—the only way to solve this to buy a cleaner airbrush to make the product use much faster.
Some of the hose is not built-in. The best course of action is to buy external ones.
Are you a multi-creative artist that likes to paint for multi-purposes such as cake decoration, tattooing, and crafting? Are you a perfectionist that needs a tool to match your skills? Then PointZero Airbrush Dual Action Airbrush Kit is the right tool for you. Equipped with three professional airbrushes, this artistic beast can make any professional artist try for it. Not only these are premium, but it gives the users the level of fine detailing needed to design correctly. With the needle being solvent-resistant, using it is safe and won’t allow the color to damage someone’s body. It comes with an airbrush so professional, that it delivers consistently even air pressure to derive desired results.
- It comes with three airbrushes: Firstly, it comes with one premium dual-action airbrush with a 7cc color cup and a readymade 0.3mm nozzle set. The second airbrush is gravity fed one that has a lower profile 2cc and a built-in 0.2mm nozzle set. Lastly, the third airbrush is an external mix, one with 22cc siphon feed and 0.8mm nozzle set.
- Solvent-Resistant needle: All of the three airbrushes have these particular features that make it safer to use and, most importantly, can be used for multi-purposes such as tattooing and food processing.
- Professionally graded airbrush: All the airbrushes are professionally graded desired to deliver even air pressure for consistent results.
- Manual: Un-boxing the PointZero Airbrush Dual Action compressor, comes user manual and a number of different guides to enhance the skills.
- It comes with a different airbrush, which has different features.
- A great product for consistent use.
- Instructions are there to learn about usage very easily.
Cons with Solution
The gravity brushes are prone to clogging despite its professional quality. It has three gravities of 0.2, 0.3, and 0.8 mm, respectively, and all of them are vulnerable to clogging. As it is a multi-purpose brush, it is natural that a user may not need all three. In such scenarios, the one that won’t be used might get rusty. The ways of solving such issues, is firstly continuous cleaning of the brush, to ensure smooth maintenance. It is also buying an airbrush lube works as it won’t eat the rubber and the plastic. This will make the needle continuously sharp.
Master Airbrush 1/4 HP Twin Piston Air Compressor
This Master Airbrush is one of the most deceiving ones when it comes to outlook. While it may look elephantine, it is actually comparatively small comes from a completely white box. Despite the size, this machine is a portable courtesy of this Niko carry handle on the top. It has a pressure gauge with plastic on it, a regulator and a water separator, and lastly, a drain plug to discharge the tank if the users want to. It has two airbrush plugs and two holders to connect with it.
Twin Piston Airbrush Air Compressor: The airbrush is of high performance that has an extra 1.5-gallon storage tank.
It has an air gauge that enables us to track the air pressure when brushing.
¼ horsepower with twin-piston compressor: With a high power airbrush, it offers consistency and high performance. It provides 40 liters with a minute of airflow, which is essential to operate multiple places.
Water Trap Filter: This feature allows us to purify the level of water, which provides smooth air pressure.
- No Pulsation: It offers ‘air-on-demand’. This means with the supreme technology that it’s build it allows constant pressure and supports airbrushing for multi purposes, for multi-users.
- Less Overheating: With extremely high capacity, and twin piston compressor, user can operate this for much longer without worrying anything about heat. High Satisfaction Rate: The quality and reliability of the product is very high, and if the users aren’t satisfied, s/he has five years to complain for it, in order to get a replacement or a refund. Decent Horse Power: With 1/4th horse power and the capacity of 40 liters/per minute of airflow, this machine can help operate more than one airbrush.
Cons with Solution
Finding a right adapter is tricky: Even though the machine comes with a 6-inch hose that fits but the inflow is too large to connect. For someone with no experience, it might take hours, if not days, to find out the solution. The most feasible way to rectify the problem is to spend a few dollars; the right adapter can be bought. While not having a threaded connector is one small drawback. It is a good value for money, and with an additional adapter, this model will look complete.
Zeny Pro 1/5 HP Airbrush Air Compressor
An airbrush solely for painters, Zeny Pro 1/5th HP Airbrush Air Compressor, offers the required the versatility that this artist needs. Such tools are good arsenals for drawing and illustrating any objects with optimum precision. Airbrush makeup artists are extremely common courtesy of such compressors. Alongside being a primary tool for painters and drawers, this functions well on fashion and vehicle designing, alongside crafting other surfaces. Ultimately for someone who wants to make art both as a hobby and profession, this is one tool that has the power to make artists and art revolutionary.
- High Horse Power: With 1/5 Horse Power, Zeny Pro offers higher Air Volume and Air Pressure. This device is a standout feature, which most airbrush compressors fair to offer.
- Smooth Airflow: Zeny compressors are not any typical compressors, as it’s specifically designed to offer high-quality airflow. The reason that it manages to deliver is due to an internal storage tank, which enables to offer the same result with any airbrush.
- Air-On-Demand: It is designed to give the right air supply when needed. Such a feature only ensures clean and fresh air.
- Thermally Protected: Being thermally protects the compressor of being overheated. The compressor automatically gets switched off by the time it starts to get overheated.
- Free of Maintenance: – The piston motor doesn’t run with well, which is a blessed feature, considering the fact of how pricey oil can be. The level of noise is tolerable, with only 59db, indicating that it won’t be tedious to people’s ears.
- Precise Air Adjustment:- Zeny Pro 1/5 HP is equipped with a pressure regulator made with the true diaphragm, alongside water filter and air gauge. A combination of such features ensures that only clean air will be generated.
Cons with Solution:
The quality of the adapter remains a bit to be desired. While every other feature is spot on, this is one feature that can raise eyebrows in a negative manner. Having an imbalanced adapter will hinder the functionality of the water trap, as it will leak heavily. If the users want to fix via DIY (Do It Yourself), using an abhorrent amount of Teflon tape will work wonders. If they are the one that needs guidance, the support center of Zeny’s is generally helpful enough to guide them. Overall if you are users with such a potential problem, you need just a minute extra work to function.
Pointzero 1/5 HP Airbrush Compressor
When it comes to power, PointZero offers similar specifications from most of its models, aka half horsepower engine, three-liter tank, and other relevant features at a comparatively affordable price, and higher value. But the 1/5HP Airbrush Compressor has its differential, with different fitting, plumbing, air movement, location of a power switch. Apart from that, the tanking, the compressor unit, is unsurprisingly similar. While the sound is a little bit louder than the remaining models, it isn’t exactly vociferous. The last differential is that this Airbrush compressor doesn’t have built-in accessories, such as hose, so customers have to pay extra for its functionality.
- Attached Regulator: PointZero 1/5HP Airbrush Compressor has a regulator attached in the tank. This feature prohibits user to fiddle with it by them and tries to get in on. Also, it’s perfectly vertical, which is ideal for users with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) issues.
- One Half Horse Power (1/5HP): With such horsepower, users can get about 20 to 23 liters per minute of airflow.
- Point of Auto-Start and Auto-Stop: This machine will auto-start at 43 PSI, and will stop at 58 PSI.
- Weight: PointZero half horsepower airbrush compressor weights roughly five kilograms with three liters of an air tank.
- Power-Saving Mode: The power-saving mode enables to decrease wear and tear for the motor while not compromising high performance to operate most airbrush.
- It offers generic functions of air compressors to get models painted.
- It has a built-in pressure regulator with a desegregated air gauge and water traps. Such features enable the user to adjust the machine precisely and provide clean control of airflow, which will ultimately provide clean and dry air.
- Offers Guidelines: The half horsepower PointZero Airbrush Compressor offers unique after-sales service of around seven online guides to a decent airbrushing, and tips for using it on cake decorations, surface painting, and other artistic skills and techniques.
Cons with Solutions
This model is not an ideal one for spraying big items and operates it for longer hours. If the users bought this to spray big and long, the only remedy would be to pause it after few minutes. With a continuous stop-start process, this airbrush compressor won’t be vulnerable to wear and tear.
Vivohome 110-120V Professional Airbrushing Paint System
For the artists who want to start artistry on fashion, cakes, and tattoos, the Vivohome 110-120V Professional Airbrush can act as a perfect starter guide. While using it via tank will optimize the performance, it doesn’t come with the product. Having a tank enables the compressor to keep even pressure. It is not one of the most sophisticated tools; it can act as an asset for the beginners. The compressor is pretty powerful with half horsepower that delivers around 25 liters per air minute flow and assures no pulse during operation. Being one of the quietest compressors, operating it won’t hinder the user’s hearing ability. Overall with the right guidance, it can be an excellent compressor for professionals and art connoisseurs.
- Half Horse Power: With the performance of 1/5HP, the 110-120V oil-free compressor generates 25 liters per airflow. This ensures no pulse when operating.
- Dual-Action Design: This feature helps airbrush to store paint materials and spread paint effectively. This makes it an ideal tool for both amateurs and professionals.
- Adjustable Pressure: With air pressure gauge and air filter water trap, clean, dry air is transmitted at a precise pace.
- Safety Assurance: It is designed with a shut-off mechanism that helps the motor to stop overheating. It also offers a ready-made air tank.
- Multiple Functions: The airbrush serves to cater to all-purpose paintings, which range from commercial art, tattoos, cake designing, and other illustrations.
- It assures safety via an automatic shut-off mechanism. Through this feature, it doesn’t overheat. This tool is backed up with additional safety devices located in the air tank.
- One tool for all: This airbrush covers multiple uses. So if one wants to buy it for any artistic purposes, this serves the purpose of giving an artful experience.
- Powerful yet quiet: VIVOHOME 110-120 V Airbrush is strengthened with half horsepower and a three-liter air tank to give a beast performance, having said that, it doesn’t unleash a high pitch noise, with the maximum power being 47dB.
Cons with Solution
The airbrush may not be as precise as expected and might not give the fine detailing that it craves for. But with more research, a different paintbrush can be used to get connected with it.
F2C TC-100 Dual Action Mini Air Compressor
The F2c TC-100 Dual Action Mini Air Compressor Airbrush kit comes with a 0.4mm nozzle, with a 7cc Gravity Feeding Cup and a dual-action switch. It comes a 1/8 horsepower, an adapter, an airbrush holder, and a black mini air compressor. One of the biggest standout features is that it is very portable, weighs less than two pounds. This tool makes it very easy to carry, which isn’t the case for most of the airbrush compressors. This is a generic compressor, as it is suitable for multiple purposes, such as hobbies, auto graphics, tattoos, tanning, making a cake, and fashion decorations. Having a tool that offers such features is equivalent to someone asking for benediction.
- 12 Volts Compressor:- This particular compressor is distinctive, where it can be plugged in via 110 v AC Adapter.
- Maintenance Free: As the compressor is oil-less, the users are spared on spending a dime on maintenance fees.
- Dual Action 25: This particular feature offers fluid control when compressing the air. It releases the air in the form of an atomized spray, where it brings out smooth air form the nozzle. The dual action kit enables the air to flow evenly and consistently on both sides.
- Air Adjusting Valve: The TC-100 has got an air adjusting valve on the middle to plug in on the palm of users’ hands.
- Compact Size: This is one of the rarest compressors that don’t look like a tank; instead, it looks like a smartphone. Weighing less than half kilos, this device is portable enough to even keep it on the users pocket, resulting in carrying anywhere for artistic pleasures.
- Perfect Airbrush: The airbrush functions nicely and is very convenient to use. With around 7cc Gravity feeding cup and 0.4mm nozzle, the compression of air is quite smooth. Another reason for its smoothness is low PSI than can be reduced further with supplementary reducer. This makes it an ideal tool for beginner airbrush artist.
Cons with Solutions
The compressor may not generally be an ideal one, as the company cracked the holder and the entire body of the compressor. Also, the shape of the hose makes it difficult to make it angular. Watching YouTube tutorials about adjustments and using it for small artistic works will lead to the best use of this compressor.
Master Airbrush 1/4 HP Single Piston Air Compressor
Buying an airbrush compressor is a significant investment as the users will be paying hundreds of dollars for it, meaning it has to deliver what is advertised. Master Airbrush half horsepower Cool Runner II Dual Fan Tank Air Compressor does that. This compressor reaches a maximum level of 64 PSI, from 25 PSI. It offers professional longevity performance. Due to its long-lasting coolness, severe and professional airbrushes have a higher chance of getting persuaded to buy this product. This is because the dual cooling fan enables it to operate smoothly for really long periods without being overheated. Lastly, it has a three-liter air storage tank, which allows constant airflow and no pulsation.
- Half Horse Power: A 1/5HP single-piston compressor that is supported with double integrated cooling fans, this Master product is a masterstroke when it comes to consistent high power results.
It performs a superior level of the air volume of 0.8cfm and a flow of 25 liters per minute.
- Maintenance Free: It’s oil-less, and while operation, it gives minimal sound due to having 47db of noise frequency.
It offers accurate air control and distributes clean air, courtesy of its true diaphragm pressure regulator, air gauge, and water trap filter.
A completely lightweight compressor that has an integrated portable handle, and has an air-on demand system leading to auto shut down when the air isn’t in use.
- A perfect airbrush for professionals due to its high-end features, longevity, and supreme rotor windings.
- Easy to carry, as the users won’t feel overwhelmed, moving it from one side to another.
- Longer Warranty: It has a five-year warranty, so if the customer isn’t satisfied, the best course of action would be to complain within five years of the usage to either get a refund or replacement.
- No extra cost for maintenance as its oil-less and operates efficiently without many sound issues.
Cons with Solutions
The fittings from the tank are vulnerable to leakage, and some of the airbrushes is not compatible with the compressor. To solve this problem, one must ensure that the night adapter is connected with it, otherwise, it will cause leakages.
master airbrush multi-purpose airbrushing system kit
Mater Airbrush Multi-Purpose Airbrushing System Kit is a pretty handy kit for 3D Printing and doing small models, and doing any hobby projects. It comes with a g foot braided air hose and also air compressor. In addition, it is equipped with a G22 professional Master Airbrush. Lastly, the main piece of the kit is an oil-less air compressor that will operate at a consistent pace of 25-30 PSI. However, if the users want to go for a short burst, it can reach up to 50 PSI. The compressor comes with a PSI gauge, a pressure regulator, and a moisture trap, alongside Teflon tape for male connectors and instruction manual and guide.
- Air Pressure: The maximum pressure that this can attain is 50 PSI. The most important aspect is how much will it maintain with consistent pressure? The right answer is 25 to 30, more than adequate for multi painting.
- Pressure Gauge: The way this machine operates is to open a regulator, and twist it clockwise. That way, the pressure gauge will open up.
- G22 Airbrush Set: It is a multi-purpose optimal performance dual-action air-brush with 1/3 oz, caters to spray around two inches hairline.
Air Compressor Model C16-B: The compressor comes with a 12 volt DC black air-brush capable of running under a 110 volt AC adapter.
Compact Compressor with integrated air-brush holder, and maintenance-free, indicating the user will not pay a dime for oil and other forms of service.
- Lightweight: The multi-brushing airbrush compressor form Master is highly portable that enables the user to carry it around easily for drawing multiple levels of arts.High-Quality Airbrush: The Master Airbrushes comes with a sophisticated yet simplistic gravity feed airbrush that can be used for multiple activities.
- Guarantee: Like all Master Airbrush models, this one comes with a five-year warranty, and if the users are not satisfied, they can complain within five years of usage to get refunds or replacements.
Cons with Solution
Most users are prone to operational failures when it is plugging in. While the operation may not always be user friendly but not knowing instructions are suicidal. Most people make a fundamental mistake of not realizing the dial is zero when un-boxing. One the hoses are hooked, and everything is properly sealed, the first thing to do is turn the switch on, located on the right side of the compressor. The second step is to dial upwards and, most importantly, twist clockwise, as doing it, counter-clockwise would witch the pressure off.
Ophir 110v Pro Airbrush kit
Ophir 110V Pro Airbrush kit is an arsenal of perfect artistry. It comes with twelve types of equipment under one package. The most significant component is the compressor, which is suitable for multiple activities, such as tanning, makeup, tattooing, baking. In general, it caters to both physical and fashion designing and cakes. It comes with airbrushes of three volumes: 0.2, 0.3, and 0.8mm, respectively, one of the reasons why it caters to multi-functionality. All of the airbrushes are of high performance. Not only is this compressor maintenance free and comes with user guide and manual, but it also stands out from its competitors with cleaning tools. Having tools to clean the compressor after using is a hassle-free way to maintain it.
- High-Performance Airbrush: All of the three airbrushes are of optimal performance that comes with PRO Air Brush, which means it is an ideal tool for both amateur and professional purposes.
- Automatic On-Off: Auto stop-start features make this compressor safe from overheating. It starts automatically at 43PSI and stops at 57PSI.
- Horsepower: Equipped with 1/6 horsepower, OPHIR 110v Pro Airbrush Kit has a three-liter air capacity to generate constant clean and dry air at an output of 23 liters per minute.
- Portable: Weighing just over 5kgs, the components may be much but light enough to carry it around on a day to day basis.
- Comes with cleaning materials: The typical feature is that it comes with free maintenance, with having oil-less piston pressure adjustor, but one thing that stands out from the compatriots is that it comes with cleaning tools, which consist of five different sizes. To make it even better, the length of the brush is 10cm, and the width is 5mm, enabling users to clean every aspect of the equipment properly.
- Multiple airbrush size: Not only 110V airbrush is capable of doing numerous tasks, but it has the airbrush to back it up for doing multipurpose spraying.
- Quiet Compressors that work relatively great for more extended periods.
Cons with Solution
As it is perceived as a budget compressor, the quality of the airbrush may not be superior. But instead of rebutting that for the price it is worth it, the only way to solve such a potential problem is to clean as much as possible. Having cleaning equipment completely overshadow this problem, should users adhere to comply.
Master Airbrush Model TC-848
- Master has made a reputation of being the most reliable air compressor brand for precise airbrushing.
- Even with their incredibly high standard, the TC-848 model stands out to be one of its best models.
- It isn’t for small scale personal airbrushing; it’s for studios and workshops, that has the power to paint airbrush stations into perfections.
- It consists of 4 Piston Compressor, the most powerful of its kind. It carries a whopping 78 liters per minute of air volume, making it simple to run airbrushes of double digits.
- In addition, it has precise air adjustment, and despite its powerful features, it’s still portable. All in all, it’s one compressor for all, irrespective of the user’s status.
- Powerful Engine: It consists of a powerful 4 Piston Compressor, which is the most elite compressor ever. Such an engine runs a whooping 2.75 CFM’s of air volume, making it a compressor to run multiple airbrushes.
- Air Adjusted into Perfection: With the help of a true diaphragm pressure regulator alongside gauge and water trap filter, this beast serves to offer consistency in airflow.
- High auto start-stop pressure: Of all the airbrush compressor that has been elaborated this is considered as a tank as it is preset for an automatic turn at 43PSI and stops at 85 PSI, creating consistent pressure and zero pulsation.
- Air On Demand: This feature is designed to work only when users operate on full capacity and automatically shuts down when idle.
- Higher Efficiency: The Air-on-Demand feature allows users to stop worry about electricity bills, as it will only operate when they want to.
- Maintenance Free: Not only TC-848 is supremely efficient, but it is also inexpensive when it comes to maintaining due to being oil-less.
Offers two years warranty with the quiet operation (62lb): making the beast being elite on quality alongside reliability.
Cons with Solutions
The air leakage may be a source of concern, as sometimes the air will leak during the initial stage. However, it is more about how to use it properly. To solve such an issue, understanding the guideline and reading it thoroughly helps to rectify such issues.
Iwata-Medea Studio Series Smart Jet Single Piston Air Compressor
Iwata is constantly moving forward, improving on designs of the emerging line of airbrushes and compressors. The Smart Jet Air Compressor or IS 850 is a classic example of its continuous refinement. It may have been produced a few years back, but it has met with changes over its previous models. The box looks glamorous, and inside this comes the smart jet compressor and all the ancillary items provided in a covered packet. All of the equipment is packed in plastic bags individually and secured with foams and cardboard dividers inside. It has supply documentation, which is a must for users to read before knowing how to operate. There is a smart-jet air compressor, one straight, and coiled air hose, a moisture trap assembly, an airbrush holder attached to the compressor, a small clear bag containing three coupling adapters for different airbrushes, small round filter, and small ring.
- Specific Air Brush Adapters: It comes with three separate adapters, Paasche, Aztek, and Badger.
- The power cord is supplied with 220 Volt electrical Systems, indicating it as a high powered compressor.
- The compressor reaches an optimum static pressure of 50 to 55 psi and working pressure of 35 psi.
- The system takes a few seconds to reach maximum pressure.
- The Iwata Smart Jet Air Compressor is a single-piston oil-less compressor, which employs smart technology and is considered to be maintenance-free.
- Coiled air hose provides air cooling flow from the compressor, which helps to eliminate moisture. It also acts as a storage tank, albeit smaller.
- The wind gauge consistently records the same levels of airflow in both static and free mode.
- With the O-Rings feature, all fittings are sealed finger tight, meaning there is less chance of loose connection.
- With the sound recorded of around 65 decibels, it is generally a quiet compressor, despite its high performances.
Cons with Solution
One of the biggest problems is that since it’s an Iwata product, connecting it with a non-Iwata brush or adapter may cause a loose connection. One can wither use solely Iwata supplements or use Teflon tap to fix such a problem.
AW Pro 1/3 HP Twin-Cylinder Airbrush Compressor
Another premium quality airbrush compressor available on the market is AW Pro 1/3 HP Twin Cylinder. With the capacity of a one-gallon air tank, this beast can operate with 1/3rd of horsepower. With the support of the twin-cylinder compressor, it creates impressive power yet with lower emission. Having a double cylinder indicates double the power mode, switch, and, most importantly, auto start and stop. Having dual auto-start and stop features provides a double combination of high power and lower maintenance. With the features that offer excellent power yet less noise, the AW Pro 3.5L tank is one of the eye-popping airbrush compressors to buy.
- Portable Design: With dual cylinders, power buttons, it should sound like a heavy compressor. Instead, it’s a lightweight, fashionable device that is easy to use and carry.
- Double Switch: Having a double switch indicates that there are two levels of auto-starting and auto-stop, respectively. While both of the switches generate an auto-start of 3 bar, aka 43PSI, it’s the auto stopping that is jaw-dropping. Switch one stops at 4 bar, whereas the maximum power it generates switching switch two is a whooping 102PSI, aka 7 bar.
- Air Tank: A 3.5-liter air compressor is an elite one that helps to provide consistent, clean, and dry air.
- Power: It offers excellent power of 1.3 CFM and a noise level of 59 decibels.
- An ideal tool for heavy users:- If the users are those who need to draw in workshops and other big places, this is a highly recommended compressor to have the courtesy of its high power mode.
- A pleasure to the air:- While the 1/3 HP AW Pro is a robust compressor, it is quite underrated when it comes to generating sound, as it offers a paltry 59 decibels.
- The auto start-stop feature enables the user to use according to its demand, and with double power modes, users can implement this tool for any artistic purposes.
As it is a high power air compressor, the sound level may not be as accurate as the description suggest. For avoiding such a situation choosing a place to connect is crucial, and even after that, it becomes bothering, then buying a spray booth is recommended. Also, continuous maintenance is essential as this is one rare device that isn’t oil-less.
Grex Air Compressor
An American brand that’s assembled in Taiwan, Grex, is one of the oligopolies when it comes to offering portable Air compressors. Green is symbolized as Grex, and this high-quality product is suitable for airbrushing mechanical uses and places that are difficult to reach. It comes with a built-in airbrush holder, which serves for airbrushing mechanical uses. The compressor is small, and weighing just 10 pounds, it is incredibly portable. This model signifies that small is a revolution as its piston style compression makes it an ideal tool for high-level professional artists and designers.
It has an Oil-less piston design that generates supreme performance yet lower maintenance. Such a feature makes it a popular tool for demanding professionals.
Set and Lock regulator: This feature is Grex’s point of the differential as the users can create its own setting without the latter getting reverted into a locked position.
Auto shut off feature makes this portable piston air compressor energy efficient. When the users are done using this tool, they don’t have to worry about switching it off as it will happen automatically.
It has a corded electric cord that runs with 115V with 1/8 HP.
- A supreme took for airbrushing. While it doesn’t come with any tank, it does not create throttling, which most piston tank is known for.
- Extremely Quiet: the 115v 1/8HP Grex Air Compressor can be placed anywhere without letting people’s ears getting hampered. This feature will prohibit users from creating distractions in their surroundings.
- Auto Switch Off feature helps the user only to run the machine while they are spraying. So it saves the electricity bill as it generates a lot of power.
Cons with Solution
While Grex’s compressor is high powered, it does come with rumored high prices. However, Grex is notorious for offering sales quite often, so being alert about it helps.
It may not work on a higher size airbrush: If the users want to use 0.7mm airbrush over 0.2 or 0.3 mm, then there is a chance the functionality might struggle. Understanding which airbrush is more compatible with this device will be the most important homework for potential users.
Paasche Airbrush DC850R Compressor for Airbrush
The last product review consists of an entirely new brand, but an older version. The Paasche Pro Series has one of the biggest capacities among all other airbrush compressors. It runs with three-quarters of horsepower and is an extremely quiet model for airbrushing. The DC850 the voltage consists of 110-120 volts. It delivers airflow of 2.4CFM at the auto start and 1.5 CFM when functioning at maximum speed. The new version, however, ends at 1.5CFM at 90 PSI, a vast improvement from the predecessors. Complimenting these main features is supported specifications like push and pull power switch, water trap, tank pressure, and air gauge. Lastly, like any airbrush compressor, it can support two airbrushes at once.
Airbrush flow control: While switching the power, the user can see the electric motor with a dual-piston setup. On top of it, the manifold for air regulator, valves, and gauges are given.
It has a pressure control switch for running off the tank filling pressure, and an intake filter.
A built-in airbrush hooked up, and when it starts, it shows the bar pressure. The pressure starts at six and ends at eight bars.
The sound offers are really quiet, aka 58 decibels, the loudest sound being the extra air release.
- Extremely Quiet Quality Tool: As mentioned earlier, this beast is extremely quiet when delivering, and when the extra air pressure is released, the sound isn’t equivalent to the steam train.
- Extremely Powerful Compressor: It’s a really powerful tool for airbrushing; with various horsepower, it is easier to regulate the PSI for definitive use. It holds the pressure so well that it’s achievable to spray clear.
- The tank has the capacity to refill automatically.
Cons with Solution
a) While it might be a powerful cumulative machine but finding parts in the market will not be a walk in the park; if it gets damaged, then replacement may become improbable as Paasche has to import directly from China. So if you are a partial user’s treat it as a car engine and operate once in a while; for the consistent users, it is mandatory to keep the machine continuously neat.
Requirements of the Equipment
While each of the sixteen airbrush compressors has different attributes, there are some things that are mutual for each of the devices to get connected. The first thing essential is an adapter. All the compressors come with a power cord. Each machine occupies at a different voltage power starting from 100V to 220V, but the fact is common that each machine requires one power cord; otherwise, it will not operate. Secondly, what’s the purpose of the compressor without an airbrush? Each compressor is compatible with a number of airbrushes, but without an airbrush, the usage of the compressor is futile.
Types of Compressors
As it is a review of sixteen of the most popular compressor for potential customers, there are several variants of the compressor. Still, instead of mentioning it, it’s even more important to know the purposes of buying the compressors. These are:
Capacity Needed: What is the ideal capacity the users need?
Is Noise going to be an issue? A lot of compressors offer lower sound levels under 70 decibels, but the higher it gets, the more suffocating it becomes.
What is the purpose of buying a compressor? If the purpose is for a hobby, then buying entry to mid-range ones to suffice, but if it’s for workshop purposes, nothing but highest liter and horsepower compressor will suffice.
All of the compressors carry horsepower to ensure smooth performance as the longer the horsepower, the more consistency, durability, and longevity. The lowest horsepower level is 1/8 HP, possessed by Grex AC1810, whereas the highest is ¾ that Paasche Airbrush DC850R possesses. All the remaining 14 have a mixture of 1/8th, 1/6th, 1/5th, and 1/3rd horsepower.
Cubic feet per minute
Cubic feet per minute or (CFM) is defined as an air volume that helps the airbrush to run smoothly. Master Airbrush 1/5 HP Cool Runner II, offers the lowest CFM with 0.8 that carries airflow of 25 liters per minute. Paasche DC850R, on the other hand, offers a whopping 3.4 CFM, aka 102 liters per minute. The remaining ranges from 1.3 to 1.5 when it starts.
All the power source of the air compressor is electric; most of them are oil-less. All of them come with power cords; some are straight; some are equivalent to telephone cords.
Air Compressor Tank Size
To simplify it briefly, air compressor is defined as the power generator of the airbrushes as the latter won’t function magically. This is one of the most critical aspects, making it an expensive tool to have. Most of the compressors don’t come up with an integrated tank and needed to be fixed separately, but it generates more volume. Generally, its compact yet enhances the capacity, with less sound.
To educate the capacity of airbrush compressors, it is vital to note that different models are measured in different metrics. Some are measured in oz, others are measured in cc or gallons, but in most cases, the ideal metric is liters. Grex AC1810-A has the tiniest capacity, where Paasche Airbrush has a gigantic 1.6 gallons capacity; the rest fall in the average of .75 to 3 liters, depending on the functionality.
Apart from some exceptions most of the airbrush compressor has auto-stop functions, which occurs when the machines come to particular air pressure. This one is a blissful tool to have as it helps the airbrush deliver consistently and continuously. This feature makes the airbrushed ideal for artistry.
Frequently Asked Question:
1) What is it being used for?
Airbrush compressors have diverse purposes, from cake decoration to tattooing, to vehicle designing; it serves everything that requires crafts. While it has multi-purposes, it is essential to understand one’s desire before buying the right ones.
2) Will it be noisy?
The most straightforward answer to the question will be that it solely based on noise levels. Some have noise levels of around 60 decibels; few can surpass beyond that. If the noise levels of compressors are the former, then it is considered as quiet. Otherwise, it can cause inconvenience to users and their surroundings.
3) How to Connect Airbrush Hose to the Compressor?
Firstly one needs an adapter to connect airbrush hose to the compressor. While some offer their own version of adapters, in most cases, it is required to buy a separate adapter to cater to their needs. The good news is that adapters are readily available online or in brick and mortar stores. Despite its accessibility, finding the right fitting is crucial, as having a wrong one may make it unusable.
4) How to Remove Moisture Trap on Airbrush Air Compressor?
The biggest problem one encounters using airbrush compressor is that users are prone to issues when paint mixes with the moisture. The hindrance is common that distracts smooth painting. This is where the moisture trap is vital. Most compressors have an integrated moisture trap that helps to drain it where there is an overflow of moisture. This can be achieved via uninstalling the drain cock.
5) How to add a Tank to an Airbrush Compressor?
Adding a tank offers extra volume and power, and is achievable on compressors that don’t have a readymade tank. While on the surface, it looks tedious, it is a simple process, and most importantly, a Do It Yourself (DIY) activity at home. Having the right tools and tanks is important alongside supplementary devices like couplers and hose. The most important instruction is to drain the air of the compressor before installing it. Lastly, what a user needs is a valve as an adapter to connect the tank.
6) What are the types of projects I will be undertaking with an air compressor?
The best thing about airbrush is that one can use it for any artistic purposes. From baking to mechanic designing, to fashion and other crafts, if it’s anything about painting the airbrush compressor does just that. Despite having multifunctional features, the users need to have clarity on what they want.
7) What is my available power source?
All of the compressors are electric power that is needed to be attached by a cord. It can come as a plain cord or a tangling elastic cord. The only difference is the volt that ranges from 110V-220V.
When it comes to buying the right airbrush compressor, there are some factors that need to be considered. The first aspect is the airbrushing kit. An airbrush that is multifunctional and can be used on most media surfaces is highly recommended as it enhances your creativity. In order to use the airbrush smoothly, the right needle size is needed. A needle with multiple nozzle caps is capable of providing fine details, which can be removed for a diverse range of art while airbrushing.
Lastly, the compressor is another factor where it needs to be portable and compact that can be carried easily from one place to another. In addition to this, decent horsepower is mandatory to give smoother flow. Considering the overall factor, Master G22 multi-purpose seems the ideal choice. It is a flagship compressor, with many premium features, but the biggest standout feature is the airbrush. If the compressor is the art, then the airbrush is the Picasso of it.
Airbrush compressor has many features, but if the users find it tedious to install, then they would be skeptical about buying it. This is another aspect where this beast stands out. All the users have to do is a simple tight plugging. With the capacity of three-liter air storage, it offers optimum air pressure without any pulsation. Hence considering all the metrics, the G22 multipurpose is the one to buy.
Video: Airbrush Basic you should know before using Must Watch
For an artist, creativity is boundless, and when complemented with the right machine, s/he will be spoiled for arts. The airbrush companies around the globe offer numerous features in the form of airbrush, tank capacity, filtration, needles, and nozzles that provide smooth airbrushing experience. Some models cater for beginners, whereas few others are considered as elite. While the subjective go-to model was explained in the previous section, to give an objective answer, few metrics should be factored. These are the airbrush, the level of noise, user-friendliness, and capacity. These should come after the user decides what the purpose is for them to buy such a powerhouse. Once the purpose is identified and combined with features and price, they will be able to buy one of the sixteen airbrushes mentioned above and create their own artistic experience.