A spray gun or compressed air spray is an ideal tool to create an even coat of paint expeditiously. The way it achieves its objective is for the paint to mix with compressed air. This converts the paint into droplets. While there are niche specifications and functionality in each of the different spray guns, the process is pretty generic. One needs to just pull the trigger, and then a needle valve opens from the tip of the nozzle where the paint generates. The entire gun has air caps on the nozzle tip that guides the compressed air into paint streams that are generated from its reservoir container. One needs to be mindful about protecting the areas as overspray is certain. Below is the list of 16 air spray gun that explains which product has the edge in offering the smooth release of compressed air.
Table of Contents
- 1 View The Best automotive paint gun for beginners
- 1.1 Neiko HVLP Spray Gun
- 1.2 Sprayit SP-352
- 1.3 TCP Global Brand HVLP Spray Gun Set
- 1.4 Astro Pneumatic Spray Gun
- 1.5 Campbell Hausfeld Paint Guns
- 1.6 Devilbiss Spray Gun
- 1.7 3M Accuspray 16580
- 1.8 Fuji Spray 5175G – T75G Gravity Spray Gun
- 1.9 Critter Spray Products 22032 118SG Siphon Gun
- 1.10 Wagner Spraytech 529013
- 1.11 Tacklife SGP15AC Advanced Electric Spray Gun
- 1.12 Hiltex 31229 Pneumatic Air Texture Spray Gun
- 1.13 Gedu High Pressure Spray Gun
- 1.14 Sharpe HVLP Spray Gun
- 1.15 Tekna Spray Guns
- 1.16 Buying guide
- 1.17 How to Paint Your Car with Paint Gun?
- 1.18 What is an Automotive Paint Gun?
- 1.19 How many types of automotive paint guns are there?
- 1.20 How Do I Use an Automotive Paint Gun?
- 1.21 What to look for in a good Automotive Paint Gun?
- 1.22 What is the average life expectancy of a good automotive paint gun?
- 1.23 To what alternative uses may the automotive paint gun be devoted?
- 1.24 Are there any dangers or restrictions that govern the ownership and use of these appliances?
- 1.25 What are the top brands of automotive paint guns as of the current year?
- 1.26 What is better, HVLP, or LVLP?
- 1.27 Which Air Sprayer are most vulnerable to clogging
- 1.28 Which Air spray gun is better for high volume work, and which is not?
- 1.29 Which air spray guns cause the least overspray?
- 1.30 Which air spray gun is easier to clean up?
- 1.31 Which air spray guns are ideal for beginners/amateurs?
- 1.32 Editor’s Pick
- 1.33 Video: How Much Air Is Required to use a paint gun
- 1.34 Conclusion
View The Best automotive paint gun for beginners
Neiko HVLP Spray Gun
It is one of the inexpensive ranges of air spray gun suitable for sealer and primer. A nozzle of 1.7mm, the tool will not clog if put into rest, something that a 1.4mm nozzle gun is vulnerable to. However, unlike most devices, it isn’t detachable, and the fan control is located at the back. It is also equipped with paint and air volume control alongside a fan. For getting a good paint job, all that is needed is to lead the volume control wide open and adjust the fan to get a good paint job. In addition, the user needs to adjust the pressure with the regulator, which Neiko brings.
- It comes with an aluminum cup.
- It has six air passages on the front and two at the back and two on the sides.
- It operates at 40 PSI, with a working pressure of 10PSI, and consumes air on average around 4.5CFM.
- With the help of Classic HVLP gravity feed, the air delivers wells with three adjustable knobs, enhancing the accuracy of paint.
- At $40, it is one of the most affordable air spray guns.
- All three regulators make the machine user friendly.
- The nozzle size of 1.7mm can be used for numerous projects.
- It comes with nozzle size with five different sizes.
Cons with Solution
- When trying to take off the tip of the nozzle, it’s impossible to happen. When using a 10mm wrench, no matter how much pressure the user puts, it will start to round off, causing potentially permanent damage to the product. If that happens, then stop using the pressure, use a 6 point socket with a breaker bar. Only then it will succeed. It will look like a complicated process, and not being able to dismantle the gun is an issue, but that’s the most feasible solution. Another method involves tighten the trigger and open it up. While it may look a tedious job, once opened, the user can adjust it to their preference.
- The boat is loosely built, so in order to stop leakage, the users needed to tighten it.
SPRAYIT SP-352 is one of the most common air spray guns with a few distinctiveness of its own. The reason for this being a generic gun is the fact that the paintwork done with this gun is relatively small. It doesn’t have enough volume to carry paint of a bigger coat. These are ideal for sporadic spraying or spray it section by section to bring perfection.
- Consumes air from 4.2 to 6.0 CFM, and operates at 30 PSI, making it a spray for small objects.
- A working pressure level of 44-58 PSI that exceeds up to 60 PSI
- A variety of fan pattern, starting from 5.5 inches and ends at 7.5 inches.
- To offer precision in an application, it has a separate and adjustable fluid and air controls.
- What it does really well is it sprays without making much overspray. As overspray is inevitable, SP-352 spray gun defies the logic, giving them cruise control.
- Ideal for smaller painting and painting sporadically.
- It gives the painting a really lovely finish, ideal for doing spot work.
- A lightweight gun that is easier to carry.
Cons with Solution
- It can be a slow spray as the speed that the air is compressed from it is really low, however despite having such drawback, it compensates the fact that it sprays effectively without creating a mess.
- For its accuracy, this spray doesn’t work well on a more substantial coat. Therefore if the users have this gun or choose to have it, the best course of action is to do sporadically.
TCP Global Brand HVLP Spray Gun Set
One of the most unique air spray gun or guns as it comes with sets, the TCP HVLP Gun Set comes with three unique guns with cups, air regulators, and supporting kits for all-purpose painting. The guns come with three colors: Blue, Red, and White. The blue gun comes with a 1.8mm needle fluid, ideal for primers, and a single-stage painting. The second gun, aka red gun, is going to be the basecoat, clear-coat HVLP gun with 1.4mm fluid assembly. Lastly, it comes with a Mini-TouchUp HVLP Gun with 1.0mm fluid assembly
- The gun set comes with an inline air regulator that fits all three guns.
- The gun with 1.8mm nozzle size is ideal for all primers and single-stage coating.
- The 1.4mm fluid assembly will give versatility on painting spring base coat and clear coat finishes.
- The gun with 1.0mm nozzle kit is great for doing small touch up jobs, panels, projects.
- The guns are of professional quality, especially the quality of needle nozzle and air can assembly, giving each of the three guns the power to offer consistently high-quality spraying.
- It comes with tons of supportive materials that enable the potential user to connect with its gun and offer optimum power, and spray pattern.
- Despite the high quality of it, one thing that stands out is the fact that all the supportive materials are one for three. You don’t need one equipment to support the primer and remaining for the rest. From the nozzle to the cap, one size fits all, leading to less hassle to assemble.
- Offers a full year warranty, indicating that users will get a refund or replacement if the products given to them are faulty.
- Too many guns make it difficult to operate: As it comes with guns with three different functions, it comes with a problem, especially for DIY (Do It Yourself) users. Knowing which gun is catered for which painting can cause confusion, and will aggravate them if they can’t assemble the gun correctly leading to air leakage. The best remedy for them would be to watch as many videos as possible, both on YouTube and especially from TCP.
Astro Pneumatic Spray Gun
Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 Spray Gun is considered to be a high-performance one that comes at an affordable price. It is red-handled, has a 1.8mm nozzle, capable enough to paint a door for the house. It comes with a fancy red box. While opening the box, the users will see a yellow paper that provides information about all the repairs that must be sent to Astro Pneumatic Tool Company. In other words, it helps users to not send the product back to the place that they’ve bought it. Alongside the air spray gun, the users get a separate wrench bag, a warranty registration card, a quick set-up guide, and a user manual.
- It comes with a nozzle size of 1.8mm.
- It comes with different numbers, the lowest being a single gun, the highest being a pack of four.
- It operates at 50-60PSI, with average air consumption of 7-12 CFM and a compressor size of three horsepower.
- A fully adjustable wide fan pattern and unique drip less cup.
- It offers one hose that‘s going to provide the user some extra ventilation for air spraying.
- Caters users to paint on unique objects like motor homes, expensive guns.
- The users can adjust the area and the amount of paint.
- It is easy to wash, an essential feature, as it requires consistent maintenance.
- A reliable and sturdy exterior that will not rust off.
Cons with Solutions
- No connection valves are given while buying the product, a small disadvantage as most sir spray gun offers a pre-installed one. So the users have to obtain a separate one, with a high flow quarter inch NPT nozzle being the most recommended one.
- It doesn’t come up with a strainer to cover up and protect the air inlet, so continuous cleaning of that area is needed.
Campbell Hausfeld Paint Guns
The Campbell Hausfield Paint Spray Gun Kit is a great all-round air spray kit that offers maximum atomization and even spraying. The kit comes with a lot of tools, the most standout one being the re-usable inline paint filters to help prevent tip blockages. It comes with a larger 1.4mm tip that creates smooth and even spraying. It comes with two guns with the bigger one carry over three times the horsepower to give the users some versatility.
- The regulator pressure works best between 30 and 50 PSI.
- Two guns with 2.1 and 0.7 horsepower. The ideal compressor speed for both of the guns is 40 PSI.
- Unconventional design to protect the box from wastes.
- Carrying bags for utmost durability.
- Have multiple supporting materials: Two adjusting valves and numerous paint filters and brushes.
- It offers smoother and even spraying.
- The spray gun also makes easy work of gutter brackets and fittings.
- It can be used on confined spaces with the larger gun and un-thinned exterior latex.
- Having two spray guns enable the user to finish projects faster.
- The design reduces waste and offers maximum efficiency.
- High number of supporting materials can be acted as a backup.
Cons with Solutions
- It may not be an ideal tool to paint gigantic projects. But with such exciting main and support features, the best way to utilize such thing, even for huge objects, is to do it sporadically.
Devilbiss Spray Gun
Devilbiss Finishline 4 FLG-670 is one of the newest models of the air spray gun. Being the latest has its perks. Firstly, it offers ultimate atomization courtesy of its technology. Secondly, it comes with multiple nozzle sizes with 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8mm, respectively, that enable to spray all kinds of objects from primers to small coats. The amazing feature that stands out is that the passages are coated, which helps the exterior of the gun to be squeaky clean and rust-free. With features deriving from the latest technology and easier to maintain, it is of no surprise that it stands out from a lot of its counterparts while it is one of the most expensive gun the values that posses worth its price.
- It comes with built-in connection valves to check the compression.
- The engine comes with 13 horsepower and is operated at 23 PSI.
- It comes with three different fluid tips to cater to its diverse functionalities.
- This one enhanced atomization technology to create a smooth and consistent compression.
- The machine air cap is built with precision, indicating that it will not cause loose adjustments and doesn’t need other tools to fix the alignment.
- All three nozzles are fluid, giving the user a smooth and consistent spraying experience.
- Having internal passages anodized means that the air cap is not only sturdy but will be easier to maintain.
- This one is built with the latest interior and exterior technology to give the users a premium feel.
Cons with Solution
- While it is a nice gun, it may not be perfect and require some finessing. The initial results may leave a lot to be desired. So having patience is key and even more the continuous cleaning and dialing the right air inlet pressure.
3M Accuspray 16580
Not every air spray gun acts as a comprehensive one, but 3M Accuspray Spray System is a rare breed. In short, it is one gun for all paint needs a machine that has all the tools needed for ultimate spraying experience. Primers, sealers, base coats, or clear coats, this is a one-stop solution for all the users’ painting needs. What makes it so special is that it is specific kits for specific coating. If the users want o paint primers and all the polyesters, the red coating is the go-to one that carries a 1.8mm nozzle, which will lay it down really smoothly. For sealers, the nozzle size will be 1.4mm, and the base coat is 1.3mm. Lastly, for the clear coat, users need to use the fluid tip of 1.2mm. Having such features makes the user of this tool as an air spraying mechanic.
- A cup size of 22 ounces: Having a cup of such a colossal size shows this is a multipurpose air spray gun. All the users need to do is decide what project to do and fill it up in accordance.
- It has a different nozzle size of different colors, such as blue stands for 1.2mm, green aka 1.3mm. Alongside color, each has its own functionality, and it is up to the user to choose their preferred nozzle.
- It offers a PPS cup system that allows painting at any angle.
- It is designed with 3M PPS that enables one to eradicate any inadequate paint mixing processes, making it a completely efficient tool.
- No Maintenance Required: The only gun of its kind that offers waterborne finish results with no kits required for cleaning. The outlook and the performance will be intact even with no cleaning whatsoever.
- It comes with five different nozzles for spraying five different kinds of objects.
- Absolutely Efficient as it creates minimal paint waste and hence less cleaning time.
Cons with Solutions
- With so many great features and facilities, this gun is supposed to perform flawlessly. There is just one thing that can make users iffy as it only has one lid but three disposable liners, which can cause a mismatch. So finding the right liner is the only way to go forward.
Fuji Spray 5175G – T75G Gravity Spray Gun
Fuji Spray 5175G is a flagship spray gun. A machine worth of over $300, what is so exciting about this that makes it a premium gun? Firstly it’s a professional spray gun that has a side pattern. Not only has that made it look unconventional but also more comfortable to use especially when adjusting the fan pattern. A gun is considered flagship when it offers minimal to zero inconveniences, and with this being non-bleed, it causes less blow of dust, which gives its users a spare from allergies. Also, with the air cap being highly efficient, it allows the users to generate maximum output with minimal input. All in all, such features make it an elite one.
- High-Efficiency Aircap installed for perfect atomization with least overspray.
- This one has a rotating Nipple on the back of the gun for pressure tubes.
- It comes with a cup of 600cc.
- Metal knobs, and stainless steel springs.
- HVLP turbine system that allows spraying for all types of finishing.
- It spares users to save themselves from potential dust allergies courtesy of Non-Bleed Spray Gun.
- Flashy yet comfy: With the handle made of nylon and the design being sleek and lightweight, it’s stylish and comfortable for users to carry around.
- With the cup being stainless, not only it looks good and sturdy on the outside, but the users get spared for cleaning it continuously.
- It helps users to engage in spraying all types of finishes.
Cons with Solutions
The only problem that will ever happen if the user is left-handed. Their model comes in vertical and tilted shape. While it is easier for the right-hander to use, it’s a nightmare for the left-hander, so adjustment is crucial before coming to using it at ease.
Critter Spray Products 22032 118SG Siphon Gun
There is a saying that you don’t judge a book by its cover. The first impression of the Critter 118SG Siphon Gun is that it’s a jar opener rather than an air spray gun. However, it’s the performers that are noteworthy of evaluation. It runs off compressed air; therefore, as a user, one has to possess an air compressor to use it. However, it has an incredible mileage that can be run at 90 PSI. This beast is capable of oil-based paint, sparing users to not cut as it will spray latex paint. Overall it is a gun for all sorts of painting.
- It runs off a siphon tube that runs down inside of a regular-sized Mason jar, resulting in various paints stored in the jar.
- It requires a minimum horsepower of 3CFM and 0.75 horsepower compressor.
- Mason Jars are filled with paints and other colorings.
- It comes with 16 ounces Mason Jar.
- This tool is one of the best air spray guns for the DIY. If the users are someone that is doing it themselves, this best act the right guide as the cleanup is simple alongside its setup.
- Jars are replaceable. Not only it fits a standard Mason jar; the gun is perfectly equipped to fit other jars as well.
- It offers diversity when it comes to painting.
Cons with Solutions
- The spray pattern is questionable, with the diameter circle of 2 inches. An ideal un sprays in an oval pattern. So adjusting the right pattern is necessary.
Wagner Spraytech 529013
This is the first product review that doesn’t involve sprayers; rather, it’s the container. This brush is so smooth that it’s completely worth to review it alongside sprayers. The Wagner Detail Finish Front End is built with the latest features that allow users to have a detailing finish of their paint with no brush marks. Having an exclusive design, it has to be used on exclusive sprayers, aka Wagner HVLP paint sprayers that range from FLEXiO to PaintREADY. The technology used to make this product allows the users to have a fast, accessible clean up once the work is complete. It also provides project users to customize their project for optimum precision, as the flow control allows them to turn the air cap to their and their projects’ convenience.
- The front end features a container of 20 flows that caters to thin water and oil-related painting materials on a small project.
- It has a Lock-n-Go technology that enables faster clean-up that can be completed using other materials.
- It has a detailed finish front end, which creates full customization of the project via a flow control knob.
- Customized air cap movement to cater for any project.
- Easy to customize spraying of the projects as the containers can be positioned to their will.
- The technology enables them to clean faster and better.
- The nozzle is perfect for doing furniture painting.
- It gives the user a finish so finessing that their equipment looks like factory painted.
Cons with Solutions
- It may act as a great small job sprayer, but it’s not renowned for detailing. So the only way for anyone who does the latter well is to do it sporadically.
- The brush is only compatible with Wagner sprayers. So if you are attracted to the features but don’t have the mentioned sprayers, it’s simply not for them.
Tacklife SGP15AC Advanced Electric Spray Gun
The Tacklife SGP15Ac is another multifunctional air sprayer that comes with three different sized nozzles. The smallest possesses a nozzle size of 2.0mm, whereas the largest possess 3.00mm in length. It also comes with the cleaning tools that make it easier to unscrew the hook and put off any nozzle they want. With all its fashionable looks, the standout point is that they are capable of carrying big projects like house gates, cars, and many more.
- Unique Painting Method: The spray gun canister will cover for a faster lid that adds the paint and saves time from detaching.
- With the design so detachable, that makes it easier to assemble and disassemble the device.
- With the container having 900ml capacity, less time is needed to add paint frequently.
- The power line is 5.9ft, which gives users to alter the working position based on the situation.
- They are easy to clean because the users can able to take everything apart.
- It’s an electric air sprayer, so the users are spared to buy an additional air-compressor if they choose to buy this powerhouse.
- This tool allows users to paint their big projects faster than painting with a paintbrush.
- All the tips are of the higher nozzle.
- It’s easier to change the tip.
- The painting method is timesaving for the users.
- Convenient to assemble and disassemble making it easier to clean the parts after spraying,
- Hugh capacity that allows users less time to refill the paints.
Cons with Solution
- It is prone to over spraying as it shows the consistency and velocity of explosive spraying. The biggest advice is always to keep it clean and using the paints for success.
Hiltex 31229 Pneumatic Air Texture Spray Gun
It is not a typical sprayer, rather an airless texture sprayer that functions faster than a regular sprayer. Another advantage an airless texture sprayer possesses is that it restricts overspray and allows even paint spray, courtesy of ability to paint in corners, and oval-shaped surface. Having such sprayer allows few layers of paint to finish the job, something that Hiltex31299 Pneumatic Air Texture Spray Gun serves. With the outlook consist of a metal handle and lockable trigger, the user has a simple hold for them to offer perfect painting.
- It has a locking control trigger that allows spraying a uniform coat.
- This air texture sprayer uses a compressed air system that is ideal for solving air spraying flaws.
- It offers a set of highest nozzle sizes, with 4mm, 6mm, and 8mm respectively,
- The capacity of the tank is five liters, and its gravity sustained.
- The gun requires a compressor with CFM of maximum seven with 0.25inch pipe fitting.
- Long Reach: This texture sprayer is equipped for heavy-duty tasks such as wall and ceiling coating.
- It uses a compressed air system to handle spraying flaws.
- It is durable and lasts long.
- It offers flawless texture finishing.
- Offers better control courtesy of air pressure valves
Cons with Solution
- While it offers reliable painting for household works, it isn’t ideal for office works. Therefore one must buy to understand their purpose.
- Another problem involves that unlike most sprayers, it doesn’t have a user manual, which is a troublesome feature for DIY users. The only choice they have is to look at YouTube videos consistently about the setup and maintenance.
Gedu High Pressure Spray Gun
When it comes to spraying automobiles, only a powerful spray can yield reliable and durable results, which Gedu High-Pressure Spray Gun offers. This gun serves as an ideal one for automobiles, in contrast to the other guns. Firstly it’s made with stainless steel, which makes it sturdy on the outside, and highly durable and resistant from corrosion. Having an outlook that won’t deteriorate after multiple uses are worth investing. It comes with a brass cap which is solid and ensures no leakage of air or paint, creating security benefit for the users.
- It has a W77 Siphon Speed Air Spray Gun that ensures consistent and even spraying of paint.
- It offers three different nozzle sizes, with 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 mm, respectively. The nozzle size is big enough to conduct massive household painting.
- It possesses a different adjustable fluid, fan pattern and air controls, making it easier to assemble and disassemble the device.
- All-purpose paint spray gun. Due to having a decent nozzle size, this gun is equipped for all-purpose spraying.
- It possesses one of the largest cups of any air spray gun with a 1000cc aluminum cup and a multi-size spanner.
- It comes with a user instruction, which is detailed enough for the learn to learn how to use it, especially the DIY users.
- They have a different fan pattern that allows the users to spray with utmost precision.
- Having a large cup gives users the time saving to fill up paints often.
- Having an adjustable fluid mechanism will give them less hassle to disassemble the gun.
Cons with Solution
- It acts as a good value for money with high features, so it’s pretty difficult to find flaws in the product. However, the flaw comes in branding. Geku is the most reputable brand in air spraying guns, so people who are brand conscious may not find it appealing. However, one must try before passing any judgments as the features are amazing to attract.
Sharpe HVLP Spray Gun
A highly rated air spray gun Graco Sharpe 288878 is considered as one o the best HVLP guns on the market right now. It is a powerful yet and easy to use model, which makes it efficient. It also consumes a high level of air and very easy to control the paint patterns. It is also portable enough to conduct daily use, and most of it can be used on a variety of surfaces. Lastly, it offers an adequate balance so the users won’t be facing problems carrying it physically. With the materials and features, this gun possesses ut offers a complete package for air spraying.
- Consist of an HVLP Gravity Feed sprays gun.
- A nozzle size of 1.0mm but ranges to 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.8mm, respectively.
- It has a lightweight FX3000 gun and a well-defined fan pattern.
- It comes with a 600cc aluminum cup and a wrenching and cleaning brush.
- It paints multiple types of surfaces.
- The features make it easier to carry and clean
- It is exceptionally lightweight enough to be a portable air spray gun.
- The users can easily control the gun and balance its pattern.
- A multipurpose gun for all surfaces like solid, metal, and glass surfaces.
Cons with Solution
- The only most significant problem that users may face, especially the DIY users are to understand the device well. It’s a professional painting gun. So, if the users are amateur first-timers, the trouble of operating this will be visible. They need a bit of practice at first, but once that stage is over, they will be able to handle it effectively and won’t feel the need to hold it for longer than necessary.
Tekna Spray Guns
The last air spray gun review had to be the one which is the most expensive one. Priced at almost $600, one has to be curious about what value it generates, as it is one of the most costly air spray guns out there, if not the most expensive. The Tekna 703517 allows the user to paint any surface, whether it’s indoors or outdoors. That’s one reason for being high priced. The second aspect that stands out is that the paintings are easily attainable in all weathers. So if one wants to paint and suddenly it rains the no problem whatsoever. It possesses three air caps and is ideal for solvent paintings. While the nozzles are pretty small, it’s highly efficient.
- It has three air caps with advanced fluid mechanism, which leads to the state of the art air atomization.
- It has DeKups Adapter, which is considered as a faster and better performing adapter.
- Very durable corrosion-resistant guns both in and out.
- It is equipped with two nozzles of 1.3 and 1.4mm, respectively.
- Extremely Lightweight as it only weighs two pounds.
- It can be used in any weather.
- It can be used for any surfaces.
- Users can easily adjust the air pressure.
- Extremely lightweight and easy to clean
- No mottling issues and makes painting effortless.
Cons with Solution
- While it might be a flagship gun, it may not be ideal for latex paints due to nozzle sizes, therefore looking for YouTube videos and giving small demos are essential before trying on your own.
HVLP gun with high TE
High Transfer Efficiency, known as HTE, is one sort of efficient gun due to having a technological breakthrough, whereas High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) guns enhance transfer efficiency to almost seventy percent than what conventional guns offer. While HVLP is a widely used one in the market, having a good control with that can be a delicate courtesy of being highly sensitive to minute fluctuations. On the other hand, HTE is known to overcome such a barrier. Users just need to operate with 9 to 12 cfm.
Right Nozzle Size
TO understand the right nozzle size, the first thing to comprehend is what type of surface quality one is printing. There are different nozzle sizes to cater for different materials: primers, clearcoats, surfaces, basecoats. Each size caters to each floor. So with primers being the hardest material, the right nozzle size would be a range of 1.7 to 2.2. The basecoats and clear coats require a variety of 14-1.6mm and 1.3-1.7mm, respectively. Lastly, for sealers, 1.4-1.6mm nozzle size deemed satisfactory.
Gravity or Siphon Feed
Siphon feed guns are a product of the invention and advent of HVLP, and because of the latter, all the guns were siphon feeds. Gravity feed spray guns came into existence in the 1980s, but their popularity escalated within a few decades due to HVLP being a requirement by environmentalists, making it a clear favorite. The most significant difference between the two comes in fluid atomization. While both guns possess this trait, the passageway is different. This is where gravity feed guns do better as the siphon ones don’t fare well in the HSVP system due to high air pressure requirements.
Choosing the right air compressor is an important metric to function the gun properly, and also the most challenging. One needs to consider three factors.
- Pressure: Two types of guns use compressed air: HVLP and LVLP. Both of them don’t have high requirements as they can operate even in low pressures.
- CFM: Cubic Feet per Minute, aka CFM, defines as the air volume that compressor generates every minute; in other words, the air quantity that the compressor produces at a given pressure. One needs to check the CFM requirement of the gun: the higher, the better.
- Tank Size: Paint sprayers need to have a large tank to be able to keep up with the spray gun. Buying a compressor with the larger air gun seems to be a wise move.
Having an air spray gun that requires the lowest muscle power is mandatory; not only will it remove the heaviness but also create uniform balance while spraying. Being handheld makes it a lot easier to move around. Off all the fifteen products that are reviewed TCP Global Portable, paint sprayer offers the perfect lightweight experience.
As there are numerous types of guns: conventional, HTE, LVLP, LVMP, and HVLP, one needs to comprehend which one is more flexible to carry. HVLP stands out from the rest as it can be used to carry, assemble, and dissemble the gun quite easily.
Again it depends on which gun people buy. If they buy HVLP, it will use 8-20 cfm with a requirement of five horsepower. For LVLP and LVMP, it requires minimum horsepower, but using at a higher horsepower will generate better performance.
Like Buying, maintaining the air spray gun is an equally significant way to add value. This tool is one tedious task to do, like everything, from the tubes to the guns that need to be flushed out via water, which takes time. When buying a gun, one must consider which will be easier to clean. The most prominent solution is to purchase the sprayers that have special cleaning features, aka a hose port. This feature enables to quick-flush any paints attached to the gun by merely connecting the spray system to the garden hose.
From $30 to $600, this is the range for all spray guns available in the market. While each of them has its own benefits, buying the most expensive one doesn’t mean it will give twenty times better performance than buying the lowest one. It means the higher priced ones are capable enough to paint on more and different surfaces flooring, offer more built-in equipment, and more. So the higher the price, the better the performance isn’t a complete fact.
How to Paint Your Car with Paint Gun?
How to paint your own car can save you hundreds of dollars, but one needs to do it right to be considered worth saving. This is a reason why professional car painters are so demanding. One can learn competence once they have the right materials: paint, 2000 grit and wet sandpaper, sander, masking tape and spray gun alongside masking off, and safety gears on faces. After the elements, there are three processes you should undertake to complete it: stripping, priming, and painting.
What is an Automotive Paint Gun?
The simple answer will be the paint gun that enables painting surfaces automatically without manually using a brush. All it requires are a gun, container, and nozzles.
How many types of automotive paint guns are there?
Users will be spoiled for choices as there are five different types of paint sprayers: Airless, HVLP, LVLP, Gravity Feed, Compressed.
How Do I Use an Automotive Paint Gun?
- Prepare the materials such as spray gun, air hose, etc.
- Use YouTube tutorials.
- Do the demo.
- Thinning the paint.
What to look for in a good Automotive Paint Gun?
Finding the ideal automotive paint gun, there are some factors that need to be considered; first is the weight. Secondly, it’s the compressor, followed by the components of the gun. These are the fundamental metrics to believes as they are the ideal ones to judge a paint gun.
What is the average life expectancy of a good automotive paint gun?
High-performance paint gun lasts for five to six years minimum, but the users should never take it for granted as maintenance is equally essential to prolong the lifespan.
To what alternative uses may the automotive paint gun be devoted?
Paint guns will always be on-demand, as each type of gun is specialized with each feature. One offers no over spraying, whereas other offers beautiful painting. One is perfect for amateurs while the others are for professionals. As the user choice and preference are different, so will be available of alteratives.
Are there any dangers or restrictions that govern the ownership and use of these appliances?
Spray guns possess environmental hazards; therefore, guns must possess HVLP or LVLP or LVMP as per environmental regulations.
What are the top brands of automotive paint guns as of the current year?
Of 2020 brands like Fuji, Graco, 3M are the top three brands of air spray guns.
What is better, HVLP, or LVLP?
HVLP spray guns have higher features and functions and operate at higher PSI; it requires a better compressor to function smoothly. But LVLP guns are not compatible with thicker paints. While it’s cheaper and offers smooth painting of large sizes, the quality of paints isn’t higher than those of LVLP. So for high-performance HVLP is the ideal option for a large painting, the answer is LVLP.
Which Air Sprayer are most vulnerable to clogging
all the five types of guns mentioned in question three, HVLP sprayers clog a lot, in fact, the most due to having the lowest air pressure that leads to paints clog up to the tubes. Hence it needs more cleaning to stop the problem from being persistent.
Which Air spray gun is better for high volume work, and which is not?
Is one of the most asked FAQ as too many customers get awed by product specification only to find out that this doesn’t work in high volume. Airless paint sprayers are the pioneer of it due to having high pressure to atomize the paint and can paint both inside and outside of it. The most popular gravity feed Spray Guns are the worst in this criteria. It brings a refined approach or finesse but lacks the stamina for doing larger jobs.
Which air spray guns cause the least overspray?
It is specified when using any guns, the tool of mitigation is to buy the one that causes the least aka gravity feed spray guns due to its ability to give precision and finesse.
Which air spray gun is easier to clean up?
Gravity feed spray brush scores the most marks in this aspect. Being a diminutive gun, it requires minimal cleanup.
Which air spray guns are ideal for beginners/amateurs?
The compressed air paint sprayers are ideal for amateurs due to the simplicity of the use, good for high volume. The only downside of this is that it’s outdated, but once amateurs reach a level, than, they can opt for more contemporary options like airless or HVLP.
A lot of these above-mentioned air spray guns have their uniqueness that is different from the rest. However, the biggest standout is the Fuji Spray 5175G, when it comes to gravity feed. Firstly the exterior is sturdily built with stainless steel design, an overlooked quality. This is an essential feature as it helps more natural cleaning for the users, hence no need to be bothered about sprays getting gummed up. Secondly, it provides precise control by lowering the bleed out of the paint and air. While it is more tailor-made for professionals than amateurs and is on the expensive side, easy functionality allows the user to achieve perfection in painting.
Another criterion I can think of before judging the ideal spray gun is how less it overspreads, and TCP Global Paintgun tick this box well. Not only it allows stopping over-spraying, but the CFM requirement is also varied. It is one of the guns that work with every compressor, yet it’s an excellent value for money.
Which one is my go-to air spray gun out of these two? The answer is a resounding TCP. The only reason that edges my preference of this over Fuji Spray is the pricing. Not everyone can afford to spend three figures on Fuji.
Video: How Much Air Is Required to use a paint gun
When users read reviews of all the fifteen unique air spray guns, having spoiled for choices is obvious. But to nullify their indecision is all up to them, as each has their preferences. Before choosing and buying the right gun, one must need to understand a couple of aspects: Firstly, what do users want from them. Do they want to spray all surfaces or specific? Do they want to paint cars or houses? A second important consideration is their ability to use these products. Are they professional or amateurs as some are catered for former while others are for latter, hence understanding their ability will help to come to a decision smoothly.