The basic function of a sander is to make a surface smooth using an abrasive material. So, it is easily understandable that a belt sander to create a surface smooth with an abrasive belt. Basically, it is used for wood surfaces. But there are some facts that make a belt sander efficient and suitable to work with. Like the weight of the machine, gripping material, tracking system, speed, dust managing facilities, and other things. Some tools are good for tough jobs.
On the other hand, some are very good for soft wood-works. Again, some are so-so but comes at a very affordable price. So, different products have different features with positive and negative sides. We have shown the details of top 12 models available in the market from our point of view based on variety of sources. It would be great if you check out the rest of article and see if it is helpful to you.
Table of Contents
- 1 View The Best Belt Sanders
- 1.1 Makita Belt Sander 9404
- 1.2 Porter Cable Belt Sander
- 1.3 Wen Belt Sander
- 1.4 Hitachi sb8v2 Belt Sander
- 1.5 Black & Decker Belt Sander
- 1.6 Features:
- 1.7 Skil Belt Sander 7510-01
- 1.8 Tacklife Belt Sander
- 1.9 Porter-Cable 362v
- 1.10 Proxxon Belt Sander 3853
- 1.11 Ridgid ZRR2740 Belt Sander
- 1.12 Genesis GBS321A
- 1.13 Buying Guide:
- 1.14 What’s the good belt sander for under $100?
- 1.15 What is a belt sander good for?
- 1.16 How can I maintain belt sander?
- 1.17 Why do I keep ripping the sandpaper off the belt sander?
- 1.18 Who makes a good-mounted belt sander?
- 1.19 Editor’s Pick:
- 1.20 Video: How to Clean Your Belt Sander Must Watch
- 1.21 Conclusion:
View The Best Belt Sanders
Makita Belt Sander 9404
If you are a woodworker, whether be a professional or a hobbyist, then it is hard to believe not knowing the brand name Makita. It is actually the newer version of 9403. The 9404 is a powerful, multifunctional belt sander. This tool has basically no complaints about it from customers so far but the price. And unlike its other models from Makita, it has speed flexibility, which is undoubtedly a useful addition. It has a single lever that allows users to quickly swap in a loop of sandpapers. The dust collection is incredible! The japan manufactured device is designed to ease the operation. The ergonomic is excellent. The power cord is 16.4 feet long, which makes the user comfortable to move while working. Woods, metals, or layers of paints- it can handle all of them smoothly. The power and speed of this device are excellent for carpentry.
- This tool has a powerful motor of 8.8 AMP
- The power cord of this one is 16.4 feet long
- This Makita belt sander has a belt speed of 690-1440 ft./min.
- The dust bag is included with this one.
- The belt size of this one 4”*24.”
- The net weight of the tool is 10.3 lbs.
- It has a motor that is only 84 dB, which means it will make low noise.
- This tool is double insulated
- It has an auto-tracking belt system
- Flush wall sanding
- The product has a 1-year warranty, which means you will be tension free for a year!
- The long cord gives the user great comfort
- The dust bag is standard, and it works very well and it is easy to connect to your shop vac.
- Variable speed is an excellent addition to the work flexibility which makes the stock removal fast and efficient Works at a perfect 90 degrees
- The auto-tracking belt system doesn’t need adjustment, which increases efficiency.
- This amazing tool is totally noiseless.
Cons with Solutions:
Could felt a little heavy. The dust bag is fixed positioned.
Solution: It might take a while to adjust your shoulder but then it will work absolutely fine.
A bit pricy. But it is worth of your time and money. The exhaust port matches the size of almost all shop vac hose except the Makita shop vacs.
Solution: Cutting off the shop vac extension by 2 (two) inches at the large end and adding an adaptor will make it work perfectly fine.
Porter Cable Belt Sander
If you are looking for tackling some tough sanding jobs, then this tool can surely be on your list. Unlike most other sanders in the market, it has a metal body. Not a plastic body. It gives the tool a solid building. It’s sturdy, and metal design is its USP (unique selling point). It makes its exterior parts hard to damage. The gear system is designed in a way that the volume remains low while working. So, it is not tough on your ears. Getting the belts re-centered again and again while working can be really disturbing. But this device does not let that happen. It made the belt stay centered. One of the notable features of this machine is the ability of variable speed-dial. It allows the user to match the speed of the belt with the application. Users can speed up or dial down as needed for perfection.
- It has a powerful motor, which is 8 amp, and it runs by AC only.
- This tool has a Variable speed-dial feature; 850-1,300 SFPM
- The dust bag of this one twirls 360 degrees.
- The motor is located over the platen.
- The belt is 80 grit sanding
- The product comes with a cloth dust bag
- The available belt size of this belt sander is 3”*21.”
- It has a 1-year limited warranty only.
- It has a quick-release belt-change lever.
- Sands both parallel and straight with the surface.
- The adjustable speed helps to control how much to take off while working.
- The metal body makes it solid and protective of the elements.
- This one is less likely to overheat so you can work with this one as much as you want.
- 360-degree adjustable dust nozzle that makes it hugely convenient to pivot the dust bag while sanding in corners and edges.
- Belt changing is easy and super fast that saves time.
- Belts are kept at the center while working. They are not unstable. It saves time and increases the efficiency of the work.
Cons with solutions:
Tracking can be drifted since the tracking adjustment belt is not tight that much.
Solution: You just need to adjust it. Once it is fixed and not moved,
tracking is good.
Sawdust bag does not cover the opening compellingly. If you are not careful, then the dust can go right into your face. Cord placement might be an issue.
Solution: It needs to hold out the sanding belt while using and you need to be cautious so that dust cannot touch your face.
Wen Belt Sander
For a 7 AMP motor unit, WEN 6371 is absolutely a solid unit. To be honest, if you are looking for some features then, it probably is not for you. But with its simple features and functionality, it is a good choice within budget. The manual shows all parts breakdown. The attached impeller is to do the dust collections. The contact plate is not quite long enough. Still, it is easy to get belts on and off quick changes. The 180-degree belt is pre-installed. The drum covers are nicely rubberized. This kind of gives the plastic feeling. Even though the front handle is not adjustable, but the grip is big enough to hold and also helps to de-handle easily if you put on gloves. The 820 feet per minute speed is quite standard even though it is fixed. Getting the unit on the work-piece might seem a bit hectic because it bogs down a little bit but not in a significant way. The unit is good at taking the material off pretty quickly. For a fixed speed belt sanders carpentry it absolutely excellent at a low price.
- Motor has power capacity of 7 AMP.
- The dust bag is detachable.
- The belt rotates at over 13 feet per second.
- Heavy metal removal.
- 80-grit sanding bel.t
- The adjustment knob is traceable .
- Belt changes are tool-free.
- Trigger is Lockable.
- The warranty is for 2-year.
- It weighs only 6lbs.
- Its lightweight makes the use fatigue-free
- Continuous sanding because of the
- lock-in safety design
- The adjustment knob aligns the belt correctly (if needed) .Easy to change sandpapers due to the belt release lever.
- Not too noisy. the scale is
- medium-low usually and minimal overheating
- Replaceable parts and cheap.
Cons with Solutions:
This belt sander does not come with a case. Quick clogging may make dust collection tiresome. Dust fills up fast. Frequent tracking adjustments are needed. Hard to find suitable shop vac adaptor.
Solution: Through a customized vac adaptor can work fine for an adaptor. And you need to attentive about the clogging. Otherwise, this tool works fantastic.
The device has zero clearance up to the edge. The side and front are flushed with the edge of the belt. And the front dips up sometimes.
Solution: Tilting the unit forward a little bit can solve the issue.
Makita 9903 Belt Sander
This the unit can surely be one of the picks for the best belt sander. Especially for those carpentry jobs that require high degree performances. With an 8.8 AMP high-speed motor, the unit can spin the belt from 690 to 1,440 feet per minute, which
brings the versatility. The device is belt-driven. The auto-tracking mechanism
prevents the belt from working itself off. For jobs that require a lot of
movement while working, for example, sanding a floor, this unit’s length of the
cord comes really handy to do the entire floor of the room from a single
outlet. This unit is built for heavy use. It works well on pretty much
everything from household furniture refinishing to heavy-duty floor sanding or
metal sanding. Tracking the belt without adjustment actually enhances
accuracy. The big front grip of the unit makes maneuver comfy. The device has
a low profile design, which delivers a better balance. And user can sand flush to
the wall because of the extended base design. The dust collection bag is excellent
and also the port is shop vac friendly. It has been seen that pretty much
755-80% of dust is manageable with this dust collection arrangement. Because
the dust bag needs to be emptied routinely while sanding a floor. And the floorsurface is also required to vacuum. It is very efficient considering the power and speed variability.
- It has an 8.8, very powerful AMP motor.
- Speed control is variable; available. The speed dial is 690-1,440 ft per minute.
- The belt system of this tool is auto-tracking.
- The Front grip designed such a way to operate comfortably.
- 16.4 feet long power cord
- This one is double insulated
- The noise at 84 dB.
- This one can sand wood or metal. It also removes paint or rust.
- This excellent device comes with 1-year warranty.
- It has an 8.8 potent AMP motor.
- Speed control is variable; available speed dial is 690-1,440 ft per minute
- The belt system of this tool is auto
- Relatively noise-free. So, you can enjoy it while working.
- Dust collection of this tool works pretty well. The clip on the dust bag makes it easy to empty the bag.
- The auto-tracking belt system does not need any adjustments. So that consumes your time.
- The variable speed lets users to control or match the speed as per the application
- The length of the power cord makes the maneuverability easier
Cons with Solutions:
Bogs down easily sometimes.
Solution: You just need to be careful for this problem.
For an expensive sander, it is relatively expensive.
Solution: All good things deserve a good price. It has the worth buying performance.
Hitachi sb8v2 Belt Sander
For a decently powered motor with a reasonable price, Hitachi SB8V2 can be a perfect choice to purchase. The unit is ideal for wood, steel, and paint removal. The 9 AMP motor is powerful enough to remove the most robust material. The application needs a no-load speed of 820 to 1,475 feet per minute to operate. Hitachi is a brand of innovation and engineering. Their primary purpose is to make durable and usable products. And SB8V2 correctly serves the purposes. The original purchaser gets a five-year warranty. The wear-resistant V belt makes the service life of the unit two times longer. If noise is your concern then, this unit makes just considerable noise. Dust collection is mostly good. The sander hooks up to the shop vac nicely. It is not exhausting if you keep working for a couple of hours. The grip design is good enough to make the job hassle-free.
- It has a Variable speed dial ranging from 820 to 1,475 feet/min
- There is soft elastomer grip surface on the main and additional handles.
- The available belt size of this tool is 3”*21.”
- The product includes a dust collection bag which is left side-mounted
- It has a wear-resistant V belt
- The motor power of this tool is 9 AMP
- The power source of this one is a battery
- It comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and offers 5- year warranty after that!
- The grip and ergonomics are undoubtedly comfy.
- Putting on the belt is really easy.
- Comparatively improved manageability due to variable speed dial.
- The grip surface features make the hold secure and comfortable
- Improved visibility of sanding both surface and belt while using because of the tracking window
- The left side mount of the dust collection bag allows an improved corner sanding application and also reduces airborne particles which keep the area clean.
- The V belt makes the service life double for the sander
Cons with Solution:
The unit does not come with a case. The combination of plastic body and insulated grip handles may cause electrical shock i.e static electricity sometimes.
Solution: You need be attentive while working on this.The weight is not actually centered over the platen. It makes the device look a bit imbalanced. But it does not hamper the stability of the operation. Dust collection might get kind of messy sometimes.
Solution: You can run the device as it has the perfect solidity.
Black & Decker Belt Sander
This 7 AMP light-weight unit entirely focuses on reaching the most robust corner without any extra effort. Being a power sander, it does not need any variable speed. It is suitable for beginners and hobbyists, as well as experienced
woodworkers. It has a front roller feature which new. It allows the user to make
the device reaches any corner he/she wants. This feature is not usually available in other belt sander tools. It weighs only 6.5 pounds. So, it is light and easy to handle. The cloth dust bag can be another addition to make the woodwork hassle-free and easy to focus. It stores pretty much most dust and debris. But if a noise-free tool is your priority, then this unit can be quite tricky for you to use. But it is a durable machine to work with. The quality hard plastic and metal body does not let it to be torn even if it is used on a regular basis. Still, we need to keep in mind that it might not the right choice for big projects also if it has good horse-powers to drive. With an optional and additional part to connect the vacuum, the dust collection is excellent. For such a low price and some really good features, it is worth buying for house woodworks.
- The sanding bag is medium grit
- The tool has a three positioned handle which is retractable
- The product comes with a cloth Dust bag and an instruction manual
- Motor power: 7 AMP
- Low profile design
- Flush body design allows for sanding against vertical surfaces
- It is 6.5 lbs weighted
- Warranty is for 2 year
- sandpaper strips has 60-grit
- Good size for household projects
- No bogging down
- Shop vac can be connected
- Easily can reach any corner.
- The front roller reaches tight corners. So, the work can be done nicely.
Cons with Solution:
The tracking adjusting knob might be rigid sometimes Probably not a good choice for professional projects.
Solution: Does absolute justice with household jobs. You just have to use it in right place.
The unit might slow down a little bit when is worked too hard and hence much heat is created. Users can pause for a period when the device starts slow downing. It is loud while working.
Solution: Ear protection might help for the noise problem. The user can slow down the work process while the heat is high.
Skil Belt Sander 7510-01
If the woodworkers need to do heavy jobs and have the possibility to
increase pressures while working, then this unit comes to the rescue. Because it has a pressure control option, and it warns the user when excessive force is applied. Hence the steady optimal pressure ensures outstanding results. It is mostly suitable for new and hobbyist woodworkers. If you are a professional and need a good power for your medium or large projects, then this unit might not come to your work that much. But the quality and features it has, it is absolutely worth the price it offers. The micro-filtration system is elegant and a great addition to the tool. It is excellent for smoothening and shaping practically any wood surface. The extended sanding gets more accessible with the trigger system. The cord is an extension cord, but 6 feet is long enough to work. The belt change is also super simple. Usually, the belts are directional. There are arrow signs to show the user to direct to losing the belt from the sander. But in the case of this tool, there is no direction, yet it is straightforward to remove. So, nothing to worry about it.
- SKIL 7510-01 Sandcat has the motor power of 6 AMP which is pretty much good.
- This tool is built with a micro-filtration system
- The dust canister has a “Clear view” feature.
- Single lever belt changes
- The belt alignment of this one is auto-tracking.
- The lock-on button comes with On/off trigger property
- The sanding belt has 80-grit
- Vacuum compatible system fits to standard 1-1/4 inches vacuum hoses.
- The tool weighs 6.75 pounds
- It has a corded power source which is 6 feet long and electric.
- The sawdust capture chamber keeps the workplace satisfyingly clean.
- Easy to empty the capture chamber
- The micro-filtration contains fine dust particles
- Auto track system keeps the belt centered on the track
- Excessive pressure cannot be an issue due to the pressure control technology warning
- Easy belt replacement
- Quite powerful for a 6 AMP motor
- Extremely user-friendly for new users
- Product price is low
- Tolerable noise
Cons with Solutions:
The OSB may tend to swell a little bit on the edges due to humidity. Some of the sawdust may get scattered all over the place sometimes.
Solution: The dust port works perfect if connected to a shop vac.
Tacklife Belt Sander
The price and features that come with this tool are quite satisfying. A moderately powered, efficient tool is Tacklife PFSA1A. The tool assists with a quality finish and efficient belt removal. Keeping the work area clean can be hectic yet important while woodworkings. In the case of this unit, a dust box comes, which is conveniently adjustable. The soft- rubber covering of the handle offers the optimum grip and decreases fatigue. So, it can be a good choice if you intend to work continuously for a long hour. The machine can sand down floorboards, top rails easily. It is equally convenient for both beginners and professionals. Lots of users like the tool because it can be attached to workbenches, and it is absolutely good as a band saw. For surface sanding, 5 AMP motor is good enough. The variable speed feature allows users to set the speed from 0-560 RPM as per their needs. The 6-speed knob dials allow this to happen smoothly. Thirteen belts that come with the product offer different qualified finishes. The sander does not heat up efficiently. The thick and long cord is definitely a sign of a good quality cord.
- This tool comes with 13 pieces of sanding belts
- Speed of the belt is 450-750 RPM
- It has 80-grits sandpaper
- It has 7.6 lbs weight
- The tool has a corded, electric power source.
- Accessories of this tool are dust-free
- This tool comes with a lock-in switch system.
- This belt sander has the speed which is adjustable.
- Fixed screw clamp
- Improved over-mold handle
- The motor power of this one is 5 AMP.
- Low price is the main attraction of this tool
- It comes with a pair of clamps for attaching the machine to the work-bench
- The tool comes with two clamps, and that allows to make the performance stable
- This one has sturdily built
- Dust box does an excellent job for keeping the dust low
- The lock on the power button is convenient for the users
- Users can fix the tool to the table using just two screw clamps
- The tool comes with all the parts assembled together
Cons with Solutions:
The top speed is a bit slow. The dust collection box can fall off repeatedly from the air pressure while running upside down.
Solution: If the tool is used in the standard position, then it doesn’t happen.
Users may find it difficult to follow the manual.
Solution: If you find it is difficult to understand the manual, in that case, the internet may be a good help.
As per the motor power, we can call Porter-Cable 362V a beast. The motor power designs clearly show that this tool is for professionals and contractors. It is a high capacity machine. The surface is large 4”. The size of the machine totally justifies the motor power capacity. The design is ergonomically safe and simple to handle the unit. It is mostly metal. It means that it ensures the long term working without compromising the time and quality of woodworks. The maintenance of the machine is dust-free. And the dust collecting box is capable of 360 degrees swivel. The device uses flat edges. It lowers the risk of any parts damages, and it also can carry the belt safely. The trigger grip and forward grip for both hands flexibility is quite an exciting and handy feature of this device.
- The tool has 12 AMP motor power
- speed dial is Variable; belt speed can be adjusted from 1,000 to 1,5000 SFPM
- it has a fantastic quick-release mechanism for belt change lever
- Ergonomics is good and makes the handles correct
- The motor is located over platen
- flush sanding are designed as such up to vertical surfaces
- dust collection bags have a large capacity
- It offers 3 year warranty
- The belt is made of black zirconium, and it has 100-grit
- It has 4.41 pounds in weight.
- Trigger grip for the operating hand and forward grip for the other hand
- Variable speed dial gives the flexibility to work on different surfaces comfortably.
- Weight is totally convenient to work for 5/6 hours at a stretch.
- The speed can be adjusted from 1000 to 1500 SFPM, which means this particular unit is designed for large projects.
- The design allows for finding faults or damages in belts quickly. Hence, immediate belt changing and swapping is possible.
- The flexible grip offers users to activate the sander conveniently.
- No bogging down or slipping.
Cons with Solutions:
The unit has a very powerful motor. So, working at stretch for 15-20 minutes can cause the motor fan get heated sometimes.
Solution: You need to give it a break sometimes.
Frequent multi directional sanding can destroy the power cord. And this one expensive one cannot perform light woodworks. Being a large and heavy machine, the unit can cause fatigue and difficulty.
Solution: The handheld belt can minimize the issue.
Proxxon Belt Sander 3853
This tool has some unique features. And it is hard to find any substitute when you actually need it. It can tilt up to 60 degrees. So, it can reach comfortably places, which the other sanders are not capable of. Its motor is not a power one. That makes it stable while working. This feature specializes in artworks in the woods. For creative arts or decoration works or complicated design works on woods, especially on cabinets or doors, there is no alternate for this unit. The machine is very light. It weighs only 4 pounds. It leads to the feature of ease at the portability of the machine. It comes with a protective carrying case. Although due to the gear quality can be the worse idea of doing a lot of works with the machine. It is a perfect solution for tricky grinding jobs. For grinding out small openings, regrinding surfaces, and radii debarring, rust removal, chamfering, and much more, this tool is deal. It can reach the spots that other machines are not able to access at all. We can call it an artist’s machine. The detail working, fine finishing can be delivered by the machine and the artist’s creative mind.
- Length of the tool is 13 inches, And its weight is 1.9 pounds
- The motor is 110-120 Volt AC.
- It has Two each 80 and two each 180 grit sanding belt.
- Replacement sanding belts are available in a set of 5; 28581, 180 grit: 28582, 120 grit; 28583, 80 grit; silicon carbide belt for glass, brass,
- ceramics, and steel, 28579, 180 sand;
- This one comes with a case.
- Due to tilting head, the unit is very useful for hard-to-reach places
- Compact and lightweight builds make it portable and user-friendly.
- It has a Strong tool and also easy to use.
- The gear quality is poor.
- A bit pricy. But considering the capability and quality of artworks, it is absolutely worth it.
- Soft corners can be created very finely, even with the belt unsupported on the side.
Cons with Solutions:
Might get hot sometimes.
Solution: If this happens, it will be better to take a break for a while. And it is better to not put any pressure while working.
Solution: Considering the capability of art works, it is priceless.
Ridgid ZRR2740 Belt Sander
As of the size, Ridgid ZRR2740 is powerful enough even for the professionals. It is a lightweight tool, easy-to-tackle. Both auto-tracking and electronic feedback features ensure the quality within a budget-friendly price. The twin fan’s mechanism is the best part of the unit. One fan cools the motor while the other one collects the dust into the bag. This increases efficiency, along with makes the machine less prone to overheating while working. Although the bag is pretty small, less noise is another aspect, and it can bring ease for long periods of working. Soft gripped handles also make it comfortable to use the device.it is kind of slow sander. But the belt changing is very easy. You can lock it on the machine. That is a really nice feature when you start working on a big project. The belted center is very well designed. The plastic cover on the side helps to wear out if it is jammed. And three gears are metal, so this part is quite durable. It is an easy and great tool to recommend.
- This tool handles have a soft grip.
- It has a 12 feet long rubber cord.
- Motor power: 6.5 AMP
- The belt tracking tool is automatic
- The dust collection has high-efficient twin fans. One fan cools the motor, and the other one collects dust
- Weight of the tool is 7.02 pounds
- The warranty is for 90 days
- 80-grit sanding belt
- It runs with 120 Volt AC.
- 400-950 SFPM (no-load speed)
- Flat face ensures flush sanding against vertical surfaces.
- The motor power is capable of handling a range of tough jobs
- The tool can match the desirable removal speed for variable speed-dial. It delivers consistency.
- The two fans system maximizes the dust collection efficiency.
- The belt adjustment system allows the users to roll the belt on the very edge of the sander.
- Fairly noise-free
- Less vibration and more convenience due to soft gripped handles
- Ease of mobility due to the length of cord and durability due to cord wrap
- Quick and easy to replace the brushes on the corner.
Cons with Solutions:
With time, it slows down, and the motor is too powerful to do light woodworks.
Solution: It needs to use in heavy woodworks.
Certified factory reconditioned. So, scrapes, scratches can be seen in some cases.
Solution: You have to work cautiously with this one.
For 3’*21”, genesis is undoubtedly an affordable one. It runs on 8 AMP motor. The speed range is between 390 and 1180 ft. per minute. It is capable of handling delicate projects or materials that need low speeds. Considering the quick-change system, the belt changing is time-saving with little effort. So, if the user’s priority is time and utilization of time, then this tool could be the ideal one. It can get into tight places with ease. These features justify its low profile design and versatility. And the unit gives good quality finishing. Sometimes we feel like we must have a good quality budget-friendly product so that it can be useful in need. Genesis GBS321A can come to rescue in that case. The design is for ensuring comfortability and controllability. It is quick and convenient. It presents a perfect value for money. Anyone who is even newly in wood-works will find the great belt tracking and like the low noise profile. The only downside of the tool is the dust catch-bag. Dust can be all over the work area sometimes. Sometimes a messy work environment exhausts us and irritates also. The user should use a fan with good ventilation, dust mask, and safety glasses. And users need to prepare for cleaning for the dusting issue.
- The front handle is adjustable.
- The belt change is quick and has a single lever.
- Speed-dial is variable.
- Low profile design.
- It includes a dust bag.
- The cord is 6.5 feet long.
- The power capacity of the motor is 8 AMP.
- Available Speed is 390-1,180 ft per min.
- It is 8.5 pounds weighted.
- The adjustable front handle offers ease and control.
- Variable speed brings control over the speed and hence stability
- The profile design makes the small projects done quickly
- The cord length helps to ensure the mobility and to complete larger projects
- Engineered especially for woodworking, cabinetry. Also perfect for wood panels, furniture, closets and more
- Belt alignment is excellent and comfortable.
- No hiccups, no bogging down during operation.
- Multi positioned front handle makes it super easy to operate.
Cons with solutions:
Connector of dust bag is square shaped which slips into the belt sander.
Solution: An external connector will be needed if users want to connect a shop vac.
There can be grinding noise when it is under pressure. In the period of larger project or heavy-duty job
Solution: Belt needs to be adjusted frequently.
Any belt sander review usually mentions the power capability first. That’s because the power is vital while considering any sander for purchasing: more the amps, more the power. The type of project or wood job determines the required power in a sander. Also, the surface the user is willing to work on is also dependent on motor power. For large or tough jobs, usually, 4 to 10 AMP are required. And for soft or small jobs, 4 to 6 AMP is enough. For day-to-day projects, more than 10 AMP is preferred.
If the user is going to work for a long period and the sanding tool is large, then it will surely make him/her fatigue. It will be tiresome. The size ensures the mobility and comfort to use. Also, large-sized units are for heavy-duty works for different surfaces. So, the dimensions or size is important in this case. Usually, there are two sizes available in the market now: 3”*21” and 4”*24”. For delicate and intricate works, 3 by 21 inches is good. And for handholding heavy works 4 by 24 inches is good.
Weight must be taken into consideration before buying any sanders. It is essential. The comfort and convenience hugely depend on the pressure on the tool. Sometimes we can see that the project demands to place the device in a horizontal position, and that could be acutely misaligned. In that case, heavy belts are suitable for that project. On the other hand, light models are ideal for vertical projects. It helps to hold the unit without bringing fatigues.
Not only power can make the work done quickly, but it also depends on the speed. The right speed setting can increase efficiency like magic. The faster the sander runs, the more passes it makes. Especially in a given amount of time, the correct speed is needed. But reasonable control over good speed is also essential. Otherwise, it can create unnecessary vibration or heat for belt sanders, the unit of speed in feet per minute, or FPM. Higher FPM means not only faster belt surface runs but also a higher rate of stock removal. Lots of sanders offer variable speeds to give users the flexibility to match the speed as per application requirements.
Dust is inevitable while working, especially during carpentry. But it is needed to be managed. Excess and continuous dust can cause respiratory or severe health issues. It may go into the eyes of the user, which is not good at all.
Also, dust in the work area creates obstacles in the workplace. If the tool’s dust managing system is good, it saves time to keep the place clean. Belt sanders with good dust extraction should be chosen while purchasing.
Front Nose of Belt sanders:
A user needs to check some features while buying a belt sander. One of them is the front nose of the device. A round-shaped front nose should be picked if the user is working on individual projects or softer woods.
Track Centering System:
It is important to keep in mind that proper tracking makes the sanding nice and smooth. The centered tracking keeps the belt flat.
Comfort and Grip:
The grip surface is essential to check if you can hold the tool properly and easily or not. The comfort of operation mostly depends on the gripping facility. Some grips are soft; some are hard.
Motor power is as necessary as many other power tools are. 4 to 6 AMP motors are good enough for soft woodworks and 4 to 10 AMP motors are usually for tough wood jobs.
What’s the good belt sander for under $100?
some good belt sanders under $100 can be:
WEN 6502: a versatile and durable tool to use. But the user also needs to keep in mind that it weighs 40 pounds—very high quality. The belt can be easily adjusted. The belt size is 4*36 inches. Even though it is not expensive at all, it offers excellent flexibility while sanding.
Ridgid ZRR2740: Though the tool is not very powerful, it is easy to handle the operation.
Black & Decker BR318: the most attractive usage of this inexpensive tool is the comfort to use. Also, it can be easily set up.
WEN 6515: feature-wise, it is almost as similar as WEN 6502. The only difference is 6515 is better made.
Powertec BD1030: despite having some negative aspects, the only bright side about this tool is it works somehow. Quality is very poor, though.
What is a belt sander good for?
Belt sanders are multi-purpose tools. It is used for rapid wood removal. It levels and smoothens the rough board or surface.it is not an essential tool to be in every backyard. But yet most carpenters, woodworker hobbyists usually keep the tool. Typical uses of a sander are:
Sanding rough surfaces
Freehand shaping and rounding
How can I maintain belt sander?
Any machine needs regular or routine maintenance. You need to check your tool regularly if there is any unusual thing or not. And of course, clean up the tool regularly. There are five parts to maintain:
Keep your dust bag clean. Check if there is any sawdust or clog.
Roller and bearing are the mechanical heart of a belt sander. Bearing needs to be replaced from time to time, depending on the manufacturing company. Read the manual thoroughly and replace it timely.
The most vital part of maintenance is checking the belt. Check if it is clean, smooth, or needs any replacement.
Platen is the metal support at the bottom of a belt sander. Rub your fingers on it and check it is even. With time, platens might become uneven or thin.
Lubrication is something that every machine needs to work correctly.
Why do I keep ripping the sandpaper off the belt sander?
Belts are built to face friction and high-speed moving. So, check first if the direction of the belt running in is correct. While NOT using the belt, release the tension on the belt. If the problem is still going on, then contact your provider company and see what their warranty policy says.
Who makes a good-mounted belt sander?
There are few names, but Hitachi SB8V2 should be on the top list in my point of view. It has a 9 AMP motor. Its design is ergonomically correct and also has a soft grip. It has an excellent water-resistant mechanism. It is moderately weighted—neither too light nor too heavy.
Q. What type of paper is used on a belt sander?
Basically, finely fitted grit sandpapers are used in belt sanders. They help to achieve a smooth surface. Grits can be of many types. For example, 40-60 grits are used for heavy sanding and stripping. Again, 80-120 grits are used for the evening the surfaces and removing the flaws. 360-600 grits sandpapers are used for smoothening the surface finishing. How are belt sanders used in the beginning stage of the sanding process?
Belt sanders are powerful tools. So, it cannot be under-done or over-done. Sanding action is linear. So, the belt should be placed accurately, and the sander needs to move in line with the grain. No need to press down on the sander. Let it move at a good pace, better in a zigzag motion. Over passing the surface will make the surface smooth.
Picking the best belt sanders can be challenging, especially when there are almost similar features that exist in almost all famous brands. Anything should be selected based on the product’s features, pros, cons, and, most importantly, the buyer’s requirement. So, here is the list of all the products that are reviewed in this article:
Makita 9404 Belt Sander:
Makita, 9404, Belt Sander, 4 x 24, 8.8 A: Makita is a well-known name in the wood tool industry. The brand has established its name over the years through reliability and quality.
PORTER-CABLE Belt Sander:
PORTER-CABLE Belt Sander with Dust Bag, Variable-Speed, 8 Amp, 3-Inch-by-21-Inch (352VS): this tool is versatile and powerful.
WEN 6321 7-Amp 3 in. x 21 in. Corded Belt Sander with Dust Bag: with decent qualities and features this tool can be a great economical option.
3″X21″ BELT SANDER- VARIABLE SPEED DUSTLESS: if I look for something smooth, powerful, and light-weighted, then this is surely going to be my choice.
Hitachi SB8V2 Belt Sander:
Hitachi SB8V2 9.0 Amp 3-Inch-by-21-Inch Variable Speed Belt Sander with Trigger Lock and Soft Grip Handles (Discontinued by the Manufacturer): Hitachi is another name of dependency and durability. Hitachi is the leader in the power tool research and development industry. This SB8V2 is a tool of good balance performance, quality, and price.
BLACK+DECKER Belt Sander:
BLACK+DECKER Belt Sander with Dust Bag, 7-Amp, 3-Inch by 21-Inch (DS321): the interesting feature of this model is micro-filtration. Sanders’ function mostly depends on the grit of the sandpaper being forced down onto the work surface. This can be smoothly maintained in this device. This tool is also nicely designed and finely crafted.
SKIL 7510-01 Belt Sander:
SKIL 7510-01 Sandcat 6 Amp 3-Inch x 18-Inch Belt Sander with Pressure Control: a beginner or new hobbyist always wants something easy to explore, control and of course budget-friendly. Because amateur works can bring some damages. But it is not wise to make it high cost by purchasing expensive tools at the beginning. So, for those who are exploring, learning SKIL 7510-01 is the best match.
TACKLIFE Belt Sander:
TACKLIFE Belt Sander 3×18-Inch with 13Pcs Sanding Belts, Bench Sander with Variable-speed Control, Fixed Screw Clamps, Dust Box, Vacuum Adapters, 10Feet (3 meters) Length Power Cord PSFS1A: Professionals who are looking for a cost-effective tool, this device can be a good pick.
PORTER-CABLE 362V 4-Inch by 24-Inch Variable Speed Belt Sander: this one absolutely for professionals and contractors. If you are one of them, then go for this device.
Proxxon 38536 Belt Sander BS/E:
Proxxon 38536 Belt Sander BS/E: for perfect finishing and good speed of work, this one is great.
Ridgid ZRR2740 6.5 Amp 3-in X 18-in Heavy Duty Variable Speed Belt Sander (Renewed): among all the features we discussed in this article about this tool, the best part is this machine is affordable and durable.
Genesis GBS321A Belt Sander:
Genesis GBS321A Single Lever 3″ x 21″ Variable Speed Belt Sander with Adjustable Front Handle and Dust Collection Bag: the perks of this particular sander is, it is cheap and totally reliable.
Video: How to Clean Your Belt Sander Must Watch
Being a power tool, the belt sander needs maintenance, and the user should also maintain some safety, for example, wearing safety glasses and masks, ear protection, unplug the power, keep the machine clean.
A belt sander is a dependable type of sander. If you are planning to purchase one, then the first and foremost task is to know your requirement and purpose. After that, you can check the features and details of available models in the market. And consider the important aspects like motor power, the grit of the sandpaper, size, weight, speed, manufacturer and all. Check which one is the best match for your need. There are lots of models and machines. But we need to find out and understand which one is best suited for us.