Golf is played for almost a few centuries, making it one of the oldest games in this world. The upgraded version of golf became known in the fifteenth century, but the origin of the game is still disputed. To play golf, you will need a golf ball and golf club. A golf player uses the golf club to hit the ball into an order of holes with the least amount of strokes possible. The club plays an essential role in this whole game. The size, design, materials each and every feature of a golf club influences and helps the ball to be shot entirely. Selecting the right golf club is crucial for the perfect game. For a retired person, golf could be an ideal choice for relaxation with recreation. Or there could be golfers who have been playing golf their whole life, but now their performances are not like before. So they have to choose the golf club wisely. Regardless of the reasons, manufacturers have been making golf clubs suitable for all groups of age to ensure their best game. In this article, we will discuss the 10 best golf clubs for seniors.
Table of Contents
- 1 View The Best Golf Clubs for Seniors
- 1.1 Callaway Men’s Strata Complete Golf Club Set With Bag (12-Piece)
- 1.2 Callaway Strata Ultimate 18-Piece Set
- 1.3 Wilson Ultra Complete Golf Set
- 1.4 Taylormade M2 Complete Golf Set
- 1.5 Taylormade M6 Combo Set
- 1.6 Senior Men’s Majek Golf All Hybrid Complete Full Set
- 1.7 Extreme X7 High Moi Senior Men’s Complete 9-Piece Iron Set
- 1.8 Tour Edge Bazooka 360
- 1.9 Precise MDX II Golf Clubs
- 1.10 Extreme X5 Wide Sole iBRID Iron Set
- 1.11 Types of golf clubs:
- 1.12 Points of Changes in Golf Clubs for seniors:
- 1.13 Buying Guide for senior players club:
- 1.14 When should a golfer change the shaft of a club?
- 1.15 Why are drivers with graphite shafts longer than their steel counterparts?
- 1.16 What is torque and what is its impact on shots?
- 1.17 What are the benefits of designing golf club heads with offset?
- 1.18 Editor’s choice:
- 1.19 Video: How to Choose The Best Iron For you [Must Watch]
- 1.20 Final verdict:
View The Best Golf Clubs for Seniors
Callaway Men’s Strata Complete Golf Club Set With Bag (12-Piece)
In the game of golf, if you are a beginner or a pro, you must have two things to enjoy the game. One is a proper golf ball, and the other is a golf club set. Callaway has provided us with a club set that is suitable for senior beginners who want to enjoy this beautiful game to the fullest. The Callaway Strata Men’s Complete Golf set comes at an affordable price of $105.
The Callaway Strata Men’s Complete Golf set package has a dimension of 48 X 11 X 11 inches and weighs about 16 pounds. The set is completed with a stylish and efficient stand bag which contains a 460cc driver, 3 Wood, 5 Hybrid, 6 to 9 Iron, PW, Putter, and 2 headcovers. This set is designed to provide more confidence to the golfers right off the bat with a reasonable distance, more forgiveness, and an overall pleasant experience.
This golf set is specially designed for beginners with the scope for an upgrade if they decide to go pro. The collection contains 9 golf clubs, 2 headcovers, and a stand bag with multiple pockets to use as per convenience. The driver provides for better forgiveness to rip off the ball right off the tee. The 3 wood has a bigger surface for giving long and high flying shots. The 5 hybrid is a sure-plus luxury in this set as combinations are quite expensive in the first place. The hybrid allows for a significant alternative to the iron and is a big help in tough situations. The 6 9 iron is always better in the small distance as it provides better control and is also highly durable. The putter still has to be top-notch in every set for a golfer, and this one actually offers that high notch quality.
- The lightweight 460cc forged driver is a comfort in the hand that is constructed with a titanium head and is very forgiving for long-distance shots off the tee.
- The oversized 3 wood has an aerodynamic design that provides for a better distance and higher arc.
- A 5 hybrid offers a great alternative to irons and just fills the player with confidence. Also, it helps the golfer out in tight spots too. The 6-9 irons available in the bag offer excellent support with great control and forgiveness in the green. Also, the materials used to make the metal allow for more extended durability.
- The T-style alignment mallet putter available in this set is top-notch when it comes to performance.
- The stylish stand bag also comes with various pockets for variable uses.
- This set comes with all the essentials that are required when starting the game.
- The clubs are lightweight and have a very good grip so that the golfer has a more accurate swing.
- Very affordable in case of pricing.
- Not suitable for someone willing to go pro.
- Not suitable for quick swingers or long hitters.
Callaway Strata Ultimate 18-Piece Set
Over time, Callaway has given us some of the incredible equipment in the game of golf, and one particular mention in that collection is the Men’s Strata Ultimate Complete Golf Set, Prior Generation (18 Piece). This set has it all, from the attractive driver to the unusual hybrids, exceptional irons to the putter, everything. And this package comes for $399.
The Callaway Strata Men’s Complete Golf set package has a dimension of 48.5 x 10.2 x 15 inches and weighs about 16 pounds on the box. The set is completed with a stylish and efficient stand bag which contains a 460cc driver, 3 and 5 Wood, 4 and 5 Hybrid, 6 to 9 Iron, PW, SW, Putter, and 5 headcovers. For beginners, there can be no better choice for a set of golf clubs than this. This is even suitable for many golfers at the pro level.
The Strata Ultimate Complete Golf Set has 12 golf clubs, 5 headcovers, and a stand bag with multiple pockets. The significant headed driver provides for excellent forgiveness when hitting off the tee. The 3 and 5 Wood are a game-changer in this set as they offer unique high flying shots. The 4 and 5 hybrids are an excellent alternate for the irons. Once a player is hooked on the combinations, they rarely go to metals. The 6 9 irons are made with high flight technology to provide better control and flight in the field. The set also comes with a PW and also an SW, which is undoubtedly an added bonus because every golfer has to ultimately add a Sand Wedge in their set. The putter is excellent in construction and provides for very high control on the green when putting.
- The lightweight 460cc full titanium driver is a comfort in the hand that contains a large head for more forgiveness and provides straight shots off the tee.
- Also offered are a 3 Wood and a 5 Wood, which give some very high flying chances.
- The 4 and 5 hybrids offer a great alternative to irons and just fill the player with confidence.
- The 6-9 irons, PW, and SW available in the set are constructed with high flight technology, which allows for a more significant distance and better control.
- The mallet putter available in this set is specifically designed to provide high accuracy and power for the golfer to putt more.
- The stylish stand bag also comes with various pockets for variable uses.
- A complete set that contains all the essentials for a beginner and even a pro golfer.
- Provides covers for most of the clubs in the set which is very appealing.
- Available both in right and left-handed orientation.
- The shaft in the pitching wedge may need some improvements.
- The bag has been said to be of low durability.
Wilson Ultra Complete Golf Set
In the game of golf, whenever buying new accessories, one thing that always comes to the mind of a golfer is the brand. Whenever we buy anything, if the brand is right, we trust that the product will be too. And Wilson is a brand that has been producing stellar golf accessories for years. And one of the more exceptional productions of Wilson is the Men’s Ultra Complete Golf Set. This set is specifically designed for beginners who want to improve their game and enjoy the process. And it comes at a very affordable price of under $200.
The Wilson Men’s Ultra Complete set contains one driver, one 3 Wood, one 4 Hybrid, 6-9 irons, one PW, and a putter. There are 3 headcovers available, and the whole set is provided in a suitable, lightweight, and ergonomically designed stand bag. Each club has a standard grip attached with clear markings for the fingers.
The set is specially designed for beginners who want to start out without thinking about the complexities of the game. There are also other sets available in the market with more clubs, but about a balanced collection, this is a winner. The driver has a large head and low center of gravity, which makes it very forgiving when hitting off-center. This provides for a more accurate shot off the tee. The fairway wood is also very forgiving and provides a magnificent high flight shot. The hybrids also compliment the golfer and provide very high arc shots. The irons and the wedge are an excellent choice in this set and offer exceptional control even when mishit on the ball. This provides for a better experience for the golfer. The putter is so well aligned that it gives an outstanding balance to the player when making the shots and provides more control.
- The 460cc driver is constructed with a titanium matrix and possesses a graphite shaft, which makes it very lightweight.
- The hot face and low center of gravity provide a better shot off the tee.
- The fairway wood also has a graphite shaft and provides for a forgiving feel in terms of the control on high flight shots.
- The hybrid with graphite shaft also compliments the golfer in the field.
- The 6-9 irons and PW with steel shaft come with more forgiveness and straighter shots.
- The heel-toe alignment of the putter makes it very comfortable on the hand of the golfer and allows for more control in the balls.
- The ergonomically designed bag also adds to the value of the set.
- Suitable for beginners who want to learn with the best equipment and also enjoy the game without breaking the bank.
- The set includes a very high durability bag.
- The price is very reasonable with respect to the brand and the equipment.
- The set does not include a sand wedge.
- The putter due to its lightweight may be a no-go for some players.
Taylormade M2 Complete Golf Set
TaylorMade has always been a famous brand to manufacture best quality golf clubs for a very long time. The 2017 M2 Men’s combo golf set is made by improving the original M2 series of 2016 but with better performance. This iron set is an excellent choice for senior players who want to achieve long-distance and a satisfying trajectory. The price of this amazing one is around 600 bucks.
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Men’s Combo Golf Set package has a dimension of 48 X 5 X 5 inches, with being almost 6 pounds. The 2017 M2 had been remodeled in various areas. The outline is smaller with a thinner topline, and the blade height now has lesser depth. The frame structure is now merged with a 3-dimensional temper to add a gentle feel and sound. This design also includes Face slot tech to give the ball height and speed both while shot from heel or toe. The speed pocket is now more beautiful and gaping, which can help balance the flex of clubface. The hosel now has a bent slot to make the player more flexible.
This the iron set is quite the performer. The distance and forgiveness are remarkable. The club helps to attain a satisfactory launch. Although players might need some time to get habituated using it due to the extra height it produces. The stroke length is also more than regular, which is a good thing for the long-distance game. The graphite shaft gives the set a lighter feel. While the players can easily control the club, the speed it produces in the game helps to achieve the perfect distance.
The light-weighted club head with the redesigned grooved hosel will perfect the strike with a longer distance. The ultra-thin top of the head launches the ball with a higher height. The face slot and the speed pocket technology both increase the forgiveness when the player is hitting the ball. The small head with fine topline and short blade help to focus on the target. The outline of M2 irons, along with the hosel and topline, manages to produce more distance and height of the ball launching. It also has dense tungsten in 3 to 7 metals to increase the ball height and the velocity.
- This has the most length among all the irons available.
- It has a nice forgiving feeling which creates a continuous ball pace along with the height. Even if a player misses to hit the ball accurately, the distance will be satisfactory.
- The design is up to date with a classic touch. The chrome cover makes it look more tolerant.
- Slotted or non-slotted irons, one can hardly detect the gradation in between.
- The launch route created by this club could be too much for some golfers. It will take time to gain control.
- The face slot tech makes the sound indistinct.
- Price may be high for some players.
Taylormade M6 Combo Set
The M series of TaylorMade has been making quite a fuss for a very long time. They are improving their clubs by keeping the previous qualities while inducing more attractive features. The M6 of this series is an updated version of M5, and this one also is a perfect choice for senior players who are serious about their game. It is a combo oh hybrids and irons both. The price of this combo set is $799, which might seem a bit out of the budget at first. But the overall performance of this set is enough to convince its worth.
TaylorMade Golf M6 Combo Golf Set package has a dimension of 48 X 5 X 5 inches with a weight of almost 3 pounds. As I said earlier, M6 is a revised version of its previous successors, so the design also has been changed slightly. The M6 iron is more significant and broader compared to the M5 metal. The sole is extensive, with a high profile. The shaft is of KBS max 85 steel. The player may opt for the orange graphite shafts manufactured by Fujikura. The hosel angle is of a straight line, and it transfers the weight into the rear side of the head. The hosel uses a no so heavy metal to wrap around the shaft.
The thinner face is actually responsible for the fast speed of the ball, which in turn makes the iron one of the superior clubs of the field. It created so much speed originally that the manufacturers had to limit the speed so players could legally obtain it. The sweet spots of the club help control the velocity and the pace of the ball. The rib structure and the speed pocket influence the ball trajectory and the range. The lofts are more potent than the M5. The ball could go about 160 yards with the 17-degree launch angle it produces. The ball will launch higher due to the lightness of the shaft.
- This comes with a new version of speed-bridge to ensure the speediest thru-slot speed pocket (instead of face slot) in a distance game.
- This is, by far, one of the best speed-slot ever.
- It loosens the tensile portion of the clubface and increases the speed and distance of the ball.
- The topline minimizes the vibration rate and creates a gratifying sound at the contact.
- The HYBRID compression damper is there to remove any unnecessary shaking and creates a rather gentle and stable feel of forgivingness.
- The clubface is very thinly designed. The feel of forgiveness is maximized as much as possible to deliver a better game.
- This edition has a modern speed bridge frame which helps to create more velocity via the speed pocket of the slot.
- The upgraded damper decreases producing unnecessary vibration. So the sound and the overall feel during the strike are much better.
- Very expensive.
- The larger size magnifies the effect zone.
Senior Men’s Majek Golf All Hybrid Complete Full Set
Majek has been manufacturing some terrific club set over time. While all players find it suitable to play, Majek has paid particular attention to senior players’ needs. The senior men’s Majek golf all hybrid complete full set is a package of 8 hybrid clubs. You can add extra wood or putter if you need it. These are all ‘A’ flex clubs and right-handed. They have 3-9 and PW clubs in a set. The price is around $400, making it super reasonable to purchase.
The club weighs around 9 pounds. The design of this club set is straightforward. It has no driver or putter but all hybrids. The shaft is made of graphite and thus making the club light enough. The aerodynamic design helps to increase the ball speed and create more length. The clubhead is thin and broad that promotes a higher ball launching in the air. The black crown and the arrow marks are there to keep the order and remove the shine.
All Majek hybrids come with a low center of gravity by putting the maximum weight behind the sweet spot. So when the strike is done, the ball will launch for a farther distance with breakneck velocity. These clubs ensure the most accuracy for a shot due to the deep cavity that is present in the backside. The hole helps to maintain the focus and balance of the ball. The swing speed is very fast as a result of the graphite shaft. The aerodynamic tech helps the clubs literally penetrate the air at a fast pace, which means a slow swinger also has no trouble with controlling it. Most importantly, it gives off such forgivingness that senior players will have no problem handling it.
- This all hybrid iron set has no wood or putter.
- It consists of 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and a PW iron. Each one has a different length and loft angle.
- The clubface has a big sweet spot in the middle portion to carry the ball in a straight way without any disturbance.
- The shaft will make the shot easier because of the light-weighted graphite material.
- It also speeds up the swing pace.
- The aerodynamic design helps achieve a higher ball trajectory while going farther.
- Budget-friendly. Specifically designed for senior players.
- This hybrid club is easy to swing and also can achieve a good distance.
- The grip is easy to hold due to the lightweight. And it gives a great forgiving feel.
- The set comes without any bag. So you have to buy another yourself.
- No putter or driver is included.
- The enamel cover wears out pretty fast.
Extreme X7 High Moi Senior Men’s Complete 9-Piece Iron Set
We know that most aged golf players face trouble while holding the golf club. The average player’s golf clubs are made differently, which is slightly troublesome for seniors because they do not have the same physical abilities as regular ones. As result, hybrid irons are becoming more comfortable for older players. The Extreme X7 High MOI Senior Men’s Complete 9-Piece Iron Set is designed for senior players. This set has 7 pieces of hybrid iron only with two other types of clubs. The price is 339$, which is a bit high. But considering the facilities, it comes with, you can definitely give it a chance.
The set consists of 9 irons from 3-9 irons, PW one SW. The 3-iron has the most extended length of 39 inches with the shortest loft angle of 19 degrees. The SW has the shortest period of 35.5 inches with the highest loft angle of 54 degrees. Rests are in between. The X7 High MOI irons are made of two parts. The void body shifts the weight to the rear side of the club. The body which is a combination of metal and wood helps to form a low center of gravity with an increased MOI (Moment of Inertia). The lightweight is distributed around the edge, which enhances forgiveness. The CG in the face gives the club a robust, impactful balance. The sole is broad, which helps for a maximized ball trajectory with a longer distance. The X7 irons are designed to aim for more extended and long shots.
Performance-wise X7 is definitely the one to talk about. Otherwise, it wouldn’t have made into the top ten lists. These clubs’ designs promote a higher trajectory of the ball while maximizing the length. The X7 has been improved to give the shots more perfection and a gentle feel. The lightweight shaft will make the swinging better and also provide the player with the most think of forgiveness.
- This club set consists of seven irons and two wedges.
- This is specially designed for right-handed people.
- The shaft is made of graphite, which means it is a light weighted club, which is especially helpful for a player with a slow swinging rate.
- In fact, people with arthritis will also be able to play with this club and makes the best distance out of it.
- The clubhead design is broad and thin, which ultimately allows the feel of maximum forgiveness. Seniors are definitely going to love this design due to the comforting and balanced control it provides.
- Seniors along with arthritic people will enjoy playing with this club.
- The club is light weighted.
- It only comes only for right-handed people.
- Price may seem a bit high for some players.
Tour Edge Bazooka 360
For a golfer, if they see any golf set and think that this is what they need for the perfect game, then the set that fulfills this vision is the Tour Edge Bazooka 360, Senior Full Set. This set is specifically designed for the avid golfer with 12 clubs, 4 headcovers and a stylish stand bag. Beginners, as well as intermediate golfers, are in line to buy this set all around the world. Although the game is a bit pricey, the gain is very high. The whole set can be purchased around $340.
The Tour Edge Bazooka 360 Senior Full Set has a dimension of 14 x 9 x 47 inches and weighs around 20 pounds. The set consists of a driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 4 hybrid, 5-SW irons, high-moi PUTTER all of which are arranged in a lightweight bag.
This set is basically suitable for all golfers all around. Because this set has all that is needed for a golfer to enjoy the game from the get-go and develop their game to the next level. The driver provides a considerable distance off the tee with high control and more forgiveness. The fairway woods give an adorable top-flight shot with improved accuracy. The hybrids are a great addition in this set for alternating with the irons. The irons are also there to compliment the golfer with their forgiving strike and control. The PW and SW are an added bonus for the young golfers because they eventually have to add these items in their collection for their improvement. The putter is all it should be, it has high accuracy and great forgiveness, and the putter alignment of the putter gives excellent balance to the player.
- The Tour Edge Bazooka 360 Senior Full set comes complete with a driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, 4 hybrid, 5-9 Irons, SW, PW, putter, and a standard cart bag.
- The oversized 460cc titanium matrix driver features a high MOI, which provides for a perfect shot in off-center shots with high accuracy.
- The stainless steel 3 and 5 fairway kinds of wood with graphite shafts offer for a great chance from anywhere on the field with great forgiveness and high efficiency.
- The 4 Hybrid has a low center of gravity, which allows for better approach shots from a varied angle.
- The oversized stainless steel irons have a large undercut cavity back which allows for a high, accurate, and forgiving iron and wedge shots.
- The putter consists of a high MOI, which provides for a more precise putt with its heel-toe alignment setup.
- The shafts are composed of graphite which makes them extremely lightweight.
- The set is very cost-efficient compared to the individual pricing of all the clubs.
- A great choice for beginners trying right out of the box as well as intermediate golfers.
- The steel shafts of the irons may be off-putting for some golfers.
- The bag is not very pleasing to some golfers.
Precise MDX II Golf Clubs
In the business of golf products, Precise is somewhat a newer company. But in terms of product design and quality, they have not disappointed at all. The MDII Men’s Complete Golf Clubs Full Set is such an example. This set is designed to give the golfers an experience that will complement their game. And this set also comes at a very affordable price of under $160.
The MDXII Men’s Complete Golf Clubs Full Package Set is weighed around 18 pounds. The set includes a titanium driver, fairway woods, hybrids, irons, PW, putter, all wrapped in a beautiful stand bag. Three headcovers are also included in the set. The woods are entirely graphite shaft, and the irons can be either graphite shaft or right temper steel shaft.
The driver allows for a considerable distance and forgiveness off the tee. The fairway woods are explicitly designed to give a forgiving feel to the player on each shot as well as high flight shots with accuracy. The hybrids are always there when we need to play some fantastic shots in the tight spots, and combinations do not let us down in this matter. The irons are still there for the excellent control and straight shots even when hitting off-center shots. And their correct temper steel shaft provides exceptional durability and power. The wedges are very adjustable in the grip and very forgiving. And the putter is also with graphite shaft, which makes it very lightweight and easy to handle.
- A 460cc Titanium Driver, 3-wood, 4-hybrid, 5 – PW irons, and a putter, these are all the items included in the set.
- The club heads are made of stainless steel.
- They are also designed in a white/red/black color pattern for variety, which is also included on stand-bag.
- The irons are temper steel shaft with excellent forgiveness.
- The fairway woods are graphite shafts with a large stainless steel head for better off-center shots.
- The hybrids are also graphite shaft, which makes them extremely lightweight.
- The wedges are even-tempered steel and provide excellent support in the tight spots.
- The putter has been composed of a graphite shaft, which is not very common.
- This makes the putter very light and easy to move.
- The whole set is set inside a stand bag, and three headcovers are also included in the game.
- Price is very affordable compared to many other sets.
- The lightweight putter is a great addition.
- The true temper steel irons provide for greater longevity.
- Also suitable for seniors who are looking to get a better gain with the set.
- Some clubs are unavailable in this set.
- The putter can be slightly unsettling for some golfers.
Extreme X5 Wide Sole iBRID Iron Set
We have the extreme X7 on this list. But the earlier model of the series, the Sheer X5 Wide Sole Hybrid Iron Set Senior Men’s Complete 8-Piece Iron Set has been a good performer for a long time. The X5 also has basic features like the X7, if not more. This is an excellent choice for new players as well as the old players in the golf field. Many golfers have improved their game by using this club set. The durability of this set is intensely appreciating, as it can endure any rough condition. The cost of this set is $279.95 and absolutely worth every penny.
Among the eight irons, the 4-iron length has the highest height, and the lowest loft angle whereas the SW has the smallest height and the most upper loft angle. The others remain in between these two. The base of the X5 was made with stainless steel making it as hard as a rock. The graphite shaft gives it a rather light feel when striking. The body is made with a hollow in it, so the weight relocates to the rear side of the iron lowering the center of gravity of the clubhead. The CG gives a great feel as the padded arthritic grip reduces the pressure.
The lightweight of this golf club is exceptionally comfortable to handle. Any player who has issues with holding the club will enjoy playing with this club. It helps to increase the swing rate without pressuring the hands. For seniors, it is a good thing as they might not possess the same physical abilities as regular players. This club will help achieve a great distance and excellent control even for players who have restrictions regarding the game.
- This club set comes with 8 irons.
- The model is made for right-handed people with Senior “A” Flex shaft.
- The shaft is made with graphite making it remarkably light, which is a good thing for players with a slow swing rate.
- Though this was created especially for seniors, players who just started playing the game will feel the improvement if they continue using this.
- This club ensures a right flight height along with a great distance.
- The one thing which makes it a stand out in the crowd is the permanence of this set.
- It has a highly tolerant body.
- Playing with it is quite easy. Even people with arthritis will have no problem controlling it.
- The club is light weighted.
- Left-handed people can’t use it due to the unavailability.
- It only comes with irons. You have to buy a driver and putter separately.
Types of golf clubs:
Although golf is presumed to one of the relaxing games in the world, playing it is not going to be an easier task for a beginner. First, you have to study the game and the tools of it to make sure you pick the perfect one for you. We know that the golf club is a fundamental instrument in the field. For a beginner, it might be hard to select the perfect club for him without any prior knowledge. Usually, a player needs to practice a long time to know about the basics and the control. Manufacturers have been making a variety of golf clubs according to the consumer’s demand and ability. So if you do not know about your preference for what would be ideal for you, it will be hard to grasp the game. Typically in a golf bag, a player can take 14 clubs for the game. Woods, Hybrids, Irons, Wedges, Driver, Putter – these types of golf clubs are what most players use to play golf. Each of them has some distinct feature, quality along with shortcomings. When you know which one is best suitable for you, you can buy it yourself and start playing the game any day you want. We are going to discuss Woods, Hybrids, and Irons below.
Woods are basically, the clubs that are used to shoot the ball a long distance away to the hole. Compared to other club types, the head is rounder, larger with a longer shaft to ensure the fastest club pace. No wonder it is called the most potent club type. Originally Woods were made with persimmon wood as its name suggests. Later laminated woods were also used by various companies. TaylorMade golf manufactured the first metal Woods, which was made of steel. And nowadays, carbon fiber, titanium, etc. elements are used to make Woods on a larger scale. You might be thinking that why the name is still Woods? Well, because the original Woods were made of hardwood. And although metals are now included in the construction for a modern upgrade, the basic style, and the purposed application remain unchanged. The length of the wood has been stretched over time. The shaft of Woods used to be made with wood, but now they are of graphite with hollow titanium to balance the weight and to help the clubhead to move fast. There could be three or four wood in the club set like one-wood, three-wood, five-wood, etc. The one wood – known as the driver is the largest and made of titanium and light-weighted shaft. Also known as the fairway wood, a three-wood is the second-largest wood after the driver. The materials are the same, but the head is smaller, which is why it is easier to control its swing rather than the driver. Players who have just started playing golf are advised to use a fairway wood because of its controllable swing rate. Playing with a driver from the very start could get the shot out of hand right away.
Irons are the second most used clubs for golf after Woods. Although wood now also has metals in it as the name Irons says, it is made of iron from the very beginning. It consists of a thinner face, which makes it easier to cut into the hefty lounge with force, be it rough or sand. Irons are generally played off the ground and towards the greenside, but many players might play with it off the tee. Although metals range from 1 to 9, in the most club set from 3-iron to 9-iron are included. The 2-iron and 4-iron are long, whereas the 5-iron and 7-iron are medium and 8-iron and 9-iron are short. They are mostly used for the 1st or the approach shots to the green. These are forged to shoot from anywhere of the course. The club head of iron is solid metal with a leveled titled surface and a short shaft. There are two types of alloys available. One is known as ‘Cavity back,’ and the other is ‘Muscle back.’ The cavity back is created with a void in the front club head, which results in a long distance with a higher flight. This also is easily hit than the old muscle-back irons. The experienced golfer can work with it to reroute the strokes even in the hurdled ground. The grooves in iron clubheads are enormous, starting from up to the low. These grooves of irons increase the spinning rate of the ball, and as a result, controlling the ball is more tranquil. Metals are best for closed and mid-range shots. Those with the highest lofts, shortest shafts, and the most massive club heads are known as Wedge, which is used in some specific situations.
Hybrid golf clubs are created by merging designs of both woods and irons but pursuing different features like the swing tech or long distance. The name itself is perfect because it showcases the meaning of the term by containing critical elements of both the originals. Nowadays, hybrid clubs are preferred over woods and irons for many golf players. It allows the player to hit the ball quickly as well as to play on the green side without losing control. Many players have trouble with long irons because of the decreased flight and the smaller surface. They prefer woods over alloys in such cases, but the different swing technique of such kind is hard to control. In these cases, the hybrid club solves the problem as it serves in both ways. Hybrids were made to replace long irons like 2-iron 3-iron, but now they are used instead of mid-irons too. The head, void metal, and rounded face of a true hybrid are like a fairway wood, whereas the surface, length, and weight are like iron. Many companies have been just adding an extra or two features in an iron club and selling them as a hybrid, which is basically an ‘iron substitute.’ Thomas Golf had created a true combination set for the very first time.
Points of Changes in Golf Clubs for seniors:
Golf, as we know, is a commonly played game among various age groups. But if we are explicitly talking about senior persons, who may just have retired from their jobs and are looking for recreation or a person who has been playing golf for a very long time, golf is definitely their favorite sport of all time. The human body changes with time as well as physical ability. A golfer who was able to play with a club might need another type of club in later times to suit his physical condition. There are some key factors when a senior player is choosing a specific type of club.
Light Weight golf the club is a priority for the senior player as it is more comfortable than the massive weighted clubs. This is why graphite shafts over steels are recommended for older players. The lesser the weight, the more swing rate it will produce. That ultimately is beneficial for a player who is aiming for a more extended shot. People with arthritis will also be more comfortable with a light weighted club as their hands will be free from the extra pressure.
Shaft flex of golf club is essential for a player to achieve a longer distance. Most senior players have a slower swing rate, like 75 mph to 85 mph, which is less than the regular player. The low swing rate requires them to use a more flexible shaft to hit the ball.
To launch the golf ball with a satisfactory flight, lofts of a driver sets the bar as they are responsible for the flight route and the length both. It is better to use a driver with a higher loft if a player wants to increase the distance.
So another term that is used in the golf field is the sweet spot of the club. If you hit the ball with the sweet spot, it will be easier to achieve the most distance possible without losing control. It happens because of the produced energy shifts from the clubhead to the ball. And if you miss the sweet spots, then the energy decreases and affects the spin rate of the ball, which results in reduced length. So, a clubhead with more significant sweet spots is more useful for a senior player.
Buying Guide for senior players club:
In this article, we have been discussing the top ten golf clubs for seniors. This list is made based on these clubs price, feature, construction, and, most importantly, performance. And there are plenty of other brands of clubs are available in the market. So being a senior does not mean you’re out of options or you have to stop playing. It instead means you can focus on the specific traits suitable for you. So when you are going to purchase a new club set, you have to figure out what your requirements are. There are many vital factors you can observe to sort out the dilemma.
Set Combination & Additional Wedge:
While looking for a club set, a player must keep in mind the types of the club he needs. As a player can take 14 clubs in his bag for a game, there are various options to choose for. A club set may contain wood; driver; iron; hybrid, wedges, and putter. It is not mandatory to have one from each category. More like the preference of the player plays a significant role here. A person can have the most number of woods along with the other two types of clubs or vice versa. Different kind of wedge-like pitching wedge, gap wedge, sand wedge, etc. can also be added for the specific situation in the golf field.
Weight and Length of the Shaft:
Another thing to look out when purchasing a club is the shaft. It might not be visible, but rods weight and length contribute to the outcome of the game. Generally, it is easier to play with a massive shaft if the player’s speed is fast and pacing. And if the golfer’s speed is slow, a lighter rod will be more suitable. As we are speaking about senior players, most of them have average to lower swing rate. So buying a club with a graphite shaft will be more satisfying than the steel shaft. Because a heavy rod would mean a massive club to carry and play with, which might not be ideal for senior players as they do not have the same strength as regular players.
Furthermore, the weight changes the speed and length of a strike. The low weight of the shaft maximizes both the speed and distance. So the senior golfer should use a pole that weighs less than sixty grams.
The length of the club influences the swing of the ball, so that is also something to consider while buying a seniors club. The shaft length is decided upon the swing rate. A-grade shafts are somewhat better suited for older player who has average to below swing rate. But everyone has their own preference. If a more former player has a swing rate of more than 80 miles per hour than he should go for a better shaft regardless of his age.
Shaft Flexibility is relevant to the shaft weight. When choosing a seniors club, we should definitely focus on the flex part as regular clubs possess different shaft flex. Graphite shaft has better flex due to its lightweight. Whereas rigid iron shafts decrease the swing pace, and thus the ball can’t achieve a more substantial length. It will be an effortless energy piling in your swing if the shaft is supple enough. So the senior golf players who are facing difficulties with both swing rate and control should focus on buying a more flexible shaft than they have right now
Shaft Torque is the term of a phenomenal scientific touch in the field. So torque basically means the ability of the shaft to resist the twist. When a player hits the ball, the shaft is supposed to curve or twist. And that curve is measured in degree. A high torque shaft will twist more than a low torque shaft. If you want to hold the ball, a lower torque in the shaft will do the trick. Or if someone wants the ball to cut through the route, then a higher torque will be needed. It also means fast swinger will need a low torque and vice versa. Most manufacturers make the R-flex version with higher torque proving this theory. A low torque might measure 2 degrees whereas a high torque can be up to 6 degrees. The number might look insignificant for now, but a mere degree is enough to change the trajectory of the ball. That is why torque is considered quite the game-changer. Because the least amount of torque is capable enough to improve both the distance and route of a strike. A steel shaft produces much less torque than a graphite shaft does. Before buying a club, a player must think about how much torque he will need. Maximum older player tends to have a slow swing rate, so they should be looking for a club that produces higher torque.
The clubhead is another aspect of a golf club which is impossible to be overlooked. Companies around the world are using their assets to make better clubhead and upgrade them according to the golf player’s demand. It is suggested for a senior player to use a clubhead with more sweet spots and the weight spread throughout the margin. Because hitting in the sweet spot can ensure a straight and successful flight with a more considerable distance. This also gives more forgiveness and a perfect route for the ball. The loft angle of the clubhead also affects the balls flight path. A higher loft degree means the flight route will have an increase. Most senior players face the problem with the ball launching, so they should consider the loft angles while buying a club.
It is difficult to choose among so many varieties, especially if you think every brand has some distinct features. To marge, one with another was not possible once. But now many companies out there are investing their money and time to blend these tools according to the player’s need. So if you think you like a shaft of one brand but the clubhead should be from another brand, or you want to choose the loft and the lie of your shaft, then you can order it and make your own customized club of the set.
When should a golfer change the shaft of a club?
A golfer should change the shaft of a club every two or three years. And if the shaft is broken somehow, the replacement is unavoidable.
Why are drivers with graphite shafts longer than their steel counterparts?
Drivers with steel shafts are more cumbersome than that with a graphite shaft, which results in an imbalanced shot. To maintain the balance, the graphite shafts are made a quarter or half an inch longer than the steel ones.
What is torque and what is its impact on shots?
Torque in golf game means the twisting resistance rate of the club shaft. It affects the distance as well as the precision of a shot. It also causes the rotation or twist being created in a club.
What are the benefits of designing golf club heads with offset?
Golf club heads with offset definitely have some benefits. It increases the swing rate of the golf club and also helps to square the clubface by delaying the ball by a mere second. The offset decreases the slice by replacing the shaft’s center of gravity by launching the shot with more height.
While reviewing all the golf clubs especially suitable for seniors, it is hard to choose one among those who are listed above. All of them have some fantastic features and are qualified enough to buy. But if I have to pick one, I would go for the Callaway Men’s Strata Complete Golf Set. It is very budget-friendly and also a good performer considering the increased swing rate and long-distance it offers. Most importantly, seniors or beginners, anyone can use it and improve their ability.
Video: How to Choose The Best Iron For you [Must Watch]
There are several types of golf clubs available in the market. Golf is a well-known game among aged people due to its playstyle, which includes less physical labor and a more systematic approach. Many players started playing golf after retirement, which means they need to be more careful while playing the game. They sure can’t pick just any equipment they want, the tools have to be suitable enough for them to handle easily. The price value, the players, swing rate, speed, height launch, shaft design of the club, etc. are essential when you are thinking about buying a new club. This article would be helpful for the senior golfer to choose from, be the seniors a beginner or professional.