Table of Contents
- 1 How to sight in your bow
How to sight in your bow
After buying a bow, you may need to mount your sight on your bow. But it feels like some difficulties while sighting in. You may not understand the instruction which is provided by the manufactures. So, we will share with you the process of mount a sight in your bow in a perfect way. You will get to know that what should be the right marks and right way of sighting a bow.
Which distance to sight will be suitable for you?
To mount your sight on the bow, you have to dictate the suitable distance so that you can sight in. Before fixing the gap of mounting sight, you have to consider some crucial factor which is,
• What is the draw weight of your bow or the bow speed?
• On which purpose, you use your bow?
• And at which distance you prefer to shoot?
Best pin setting
Nowadays, the most preferable and suitable pin setting for the compound bow is 20 yards. You can easily set the pin in 20 yards in the place of 10-25 yards. Because these shows very little difference while shooting.
But if you want an accurate and precise view in 20 yards to pin set, you have to think about the arrows, rest, and pin set up.
If you set your pin in 20 yards, which should be set at 10 yards, you may be a few inches high. Again, if you use 20 yards in place of 25 yards, you may be a few inches low. That doesn’t carry a lot more value at all.
If the draw weight of your bow is low, you can use a 10-15 yards pin setup. It will provide you the best result. Because you have to shoot from a tree stand, and you don’t need to shoot from a longer distance.
What distance increment should be set?
5 yards increment
You may see, some shooters sight their pin set up at 5 yards increment like 5, 10, 15, etc. it’s your choice at what increment will be perfect for you. However, if your site has 5 to 7 pin, then you can set your pin at 5 yards increment. But this setup has both advantages and disadvantages.
You can have an apparent precision at smaller yardage by setting your pin at 5-yard increment and giving you the best view of every reasonable distance. This will work in favor of you. But it may fall you into trouble. Since you are using a compound bow and it’s fast enough, so the pin may be stacked with each other and cannot give you a clear view after some shots. Thus, the disadvantage is outgrowing the advantages.
10 yards increment
Ten yards distance increment is the most used increment, and it has versatile uses. Most of the time, this 10 yards increment is started with 20 yards pin.
A 10-yard distance increment will allow enough space in between the pin. So, stacking in between pin won’t happen here. Advantages of 10 yards distance increment are, you can have a clear view of long-distance as the pin set will be like more than 50 yards due to this increment.
What should be the best for you?
Well, it is all about personal preference and at what distances you shoot. If you shoot at 30 yards, we suggest you use 5 yards distance increment. But if you shoot at more than 50 yards, 10 yards distance increment will be the best.
Pre-steps of mounting the sight on your bow
- First, fix the sight on the bow.
- Arrange all necessary tools like an arrow, rest, targets, bow, etc.
- Take a short course on how to sight so that you can set your sight incorrectly form.
- To ensure safety, collect a backstop, and fix an area that you can sight.
- Fix the target at 10 yards at first.
- Fix the distance increment at 5 yards. You have started at a small distance increment.
- To adjust the sight, keep an Allen wrenches.
- How to sight a fix pin bow sight
So, you are ready now to sight a fixed pin bow sight, and you complete all the pre-steps. Let us describe to you how to sight.
- Fix your target at 10 yards away from your bow. You may want to aim the target vertically so that it would be best.
Make your arrow position straight respect to the vertical line of the target. You can measure the error by step back from your place to adjust your sight.
- To fix your arrow at the dead in the center, you have to follow the arrow. If your arrow is on the right of the target, then adjust your sight to the left. If your arrow is on the left, then change your view on the right.
Repeat this until you fix your arrow on the bull’s eye/dead on the center of the target.
- Now set your arrow in relation to the horizontal line of the target. If your arrow is below the wire, then move your bow to the above. If your arrow is above the line, then move the entire bow to the down.
When your arrows are within 6 inches of the horizontal line, you have to jump into the next steps.
- So, you fix the sight at 10 yards. Now, step back at 20 yards if you want to set your first pin at this distance. Let off 3-5 arrows to the center of the target in relation to the horizontal line for sure that if the sight is working better at this target. Now, do this in a vertical line by moving the entire sight housing up or down.
- Once you fix your first pin at 20 yards that are working correctly, you can adjust the remaining pin, which is set at 30, 40, or 50 yards that are set individually. You have to examine the arrows each time you fix the pin.
- You have to adjust the pin by every 10 yards back from the first pin. Moreover, you should check the arrow clearance if they work in both horizontal and vertically.
- or accurate precision of longer distance, you have to examine the 2nd pin, which is set at 30 yards. Now go back to 30 yards distance, let off 3-5 arrows if any adjustment needed insight. Because accuracy is changed from 30 yards.
- You can set the pin individually if you want to be sure that the sight fixes perfectly. You don’t need to move the entire sight housing for setting the remaining pin. Yet you should recheck the pin settings as well as how clear the view of the target.
You can choose a 5 pin bow sight for your bow like a trophy ridge 5 pin bow sight which can be mounting and fix easily.
So, we provide the recipe for sighting a fixed pin bow sight. Once you complete your job, you can test your bow sight by 3D target or block target. You can find the best result by applying this method. However, there are many methods to set a bow sight. But it is the easiest way. I hope you understand this and will apply for this.